News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Open Board / Derry Cairngorm Above The Anci...
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 12:49:42 PM
Love this place.

derry cairngorm.jpg
Open Board / Re: Whisky Reviews
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: SoldierPmr on March 26, 2024, 08:35:25 PMA bit of a long shot but do any of you know where I can get Springbank 10 for a reasonable price? I just can't seem to find it anywhere and when I do it's ridiculously over priced.

I have a local wine merchant that receives a quarterly allowance of Springbank, Hazelburn and Longrow.

It goes out on the shelves and they email their customer list hen it's available. I live around 7 minutes drive away. If I notice the email, put my shoes on and speed towards the shop I'll be able to pick up a bottle. But it's strictly one per customer for the 10, 15, 18 and Cask Strength. The 21 is occasionally available.

They also host regular tastings. If you attend a tasting you are given the right to enter a lottery. It's free to enter and if your number comes up you're given the right to buy  a bottle. I scored an 18 a few months ago that way.

It's a lot of hassle eh?

I have had some luck though. If I can grab another 10 I'll drop you a message.

Open Board / Re: Whisky Reviews
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:35:55 PM
Quote from: Fishtales on March 26, 2024, 10:01:04 PMIt says on the website they accept cards so I thought you would be able to buy online by contacting them.

No, they only accept in person sales.

Not only have they seen interest in from foreign markets they have also seen interest from collectors and investors. The distillery can't produce enough to keep up with demand these days.

Even if you visit the shop bottles may not be available for sale. They deliberately put them on the shelves at different times of day to prevent queues developing at opening time too.

The problem is compounded by locals buying up stock and flipping for a profit too....
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Tropical Fish in the Aust...
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:23:34 PM
This brings back memories of a ski trip to the Canadian Rockies in the early noughties, one January.

We visited a place called the Cave And Basin. A natural hot springs located in the mountains where the water remains around 27 c all year long. It transpired that local aquarists had performed their own experiments by introducing various tropical fish species into the water there to see what would survive.

Whilst there we saw West African jewel cichlids, Sailfin Mollies and the ubiquitous mosquito fish (I've seen the latter in several countries that they don't belong in now).

But what odd was peering into the water from an icy wooden boardwalk surrounded by snow.

It seems out of everything dumped in there, these three species had won out and were now thriving. However this had come at a cost. The native Banff longnose dace is now extinct as a result of being out competed by the invasives.
Open Board / Re: Important Update
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:14:19 PM
Good. It's ridiculous how much influence they had over the Scottish government.
Open Board / Re: Important Update
Last post by Fishtales - April 25, 2024, 02:02:29 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on April 25, 2024, 12:28:59 PMHarvie and Slater have just updated their pronouns to was / were.    ;D

That might make sense if I knew what you were on about  ???
Open Board / Important Update
Last post by Wildfisher - April 25, 2024, 12:28:59 PM
Harvie and Slater have just updated their pronouns to was / were.    ;D
Trout Fishing / Re: Poor start to the season
Last post by Scozzie - April 22, 2024, 12:22:23 AM
Was out on wed cool breeze got 5 wee Wildes nothing great but at least it's an improvement onward and upward
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 10:38:03 PM
did lintrethen have anything to do with it back then Fred thinking as they were brown trout only at that time,could you remember how long the rainbow experiment went on for would have been a bit of a novelty at the time am thinking there would not have been much rainbow trout fishery's in that area , was rescobie a brown trout loch in the early 70s, changed days all the reservoirs that a could remember in fife when I was boy mid 70s were brown trout waters had loch fifty in lindores loch that stocked rainbows , sorry kind of de railed the topic poor start to the season, aye it's still crap weather outside lol
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 09:48:53 PM
I fished it from a boat in the 70s. Stocked with rainbows back them.
Go To Front Page