News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Fly Boxes Do You Carry?

Started by Wildfisher, March 23, 2017, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagecirca

Quote from: Billy on March 28, 2017, 08:30:21 AM
Your not kidding.

Sagecirca I don't suppose you would be interested in tidying my flat.

I've never seen fly boxes so organized and tidy. I tidy mine now and again but they still look like a dogs breakfast compared to yours.

Billy

I do have a little OCD in me I guess!

I was rooming with a teammate during the World Championships in Bosnia in 2015 and after most practice sessions we would all retire to our rooms and tie up enough patterns of what was successful for the rest of the team and hopefully by the end of the week we all have patterns we are confident in. Anyway, my room mate John had finished his tying for the night and proceeded to tip the contents of his tools, materials and left over hooks straight into his bag! I couldn't sleep that night thinking of the mess of his tying bag! I tidied it all up for him the following day and slept much better that night  :shock: :lol:

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on March 28, 2017, 09:32:23 AM
I do have a little OCD in me I guess!

I was rooming with a teammate during the World Championships in Bosnia in 2015 and after most practice sessions we would all retire to our rooms and tie up enough patterns of what was successful for the rest of the team and hopefully by the end of the week we all have patterns we are confident in. Anyway, my room mate John had finished his tying for the night and proceeded to tip the contents of his tools, materials and left over hooks straight into his bag! I couldn't sleep that night thinking of the mess of his tying bag! I tidied it all up for him the following day and slept much better that night  :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I suppose that having all your beadheads so consistently tied and well organised allows you to immediately fish a bit lighter or heavier as the situation demands. You can see at a glance which nymphs are heavier/lighter while I have to scan my box and decide which nymph of several is the one I want to suit conditions.
In my defence , my nymph box is I must say particularly disorganised just now after 2 months in NZ, but your approach has me thinking I should make a concerted effort to tidy up.
Protect the edge.

sagecirca

Quote from: haresear on March 28, 2017, 10:24:58 AM
:lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I suppose that having all your beadheads so consistently tied and well organised allows you to immediately fish a bit lighter or heavier as the situation demands. You can see at a glance which nymphs are heavier/lighter while I have to scan my box and decide which nymph of several is the one I want to suit conditions.
In my defence , my nymph box is I must say particularly disorganised just now after 2 months in NZ, but your approach has me thinking I should make a concerted effort to tidy up.

Yep pretty much bang on!  Each session only lasts 3 hours therefore you don't want to spend too much time rooting through your fly box looking for a heavier nymph.  Although for most championships each team member gets one fly box with all his patterns (different sizes and weights) in it and  'should not' deviate from it as that is what the team and guide/coach has reckoned to be the most successful flies during practice.  Although in Poland last year my last session had me fishing dries only so I used my own stuff and done well for that particular beat.

Glad I am retired from all that now to be honest.

On a brighter note, I opened my account yesterday with a nice wee broonie.  Missed another 4 though, still very rusty with what has been a long close season for me!

sagecirca

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

scoobyscott

Very interesting thread, love looking into others boxes. Sagecirca your boxes are superb. Is that a few cam emergers in there? If it is I'd love to know how you tie them. I tried and failed with the partridge hackle.
My gears in the garage but will dig out my boxes for a few pics tomorrow

sagecirca

Quote from: scoobyscott on April 01, 2017, 11:03:42 PM
Very interesting thread, love looking into others boxes. Sagecirca your boxes are superb. Is that a few cam emergers in there? If it is I'd love to know how you tie them. I tried and failed with the partridge hackle.
My gears in the garage but will dig out my boxes for a few pics tomorrow

Technically yes but a little tweaked.  Have you got Steve Thornton's books? Some good step by steps in there.  The hardest bit was actually getting the small foam that allows the aerowing, cdc and partridge to sit proud.  I found a supplier in the states when on holiday. It's called razor foam.  Let me know how you get on  :)

alba

Sagecirca I think you need to seek professional help  :D only kidding mate, never seen boxes as impressively organised in my life lol

scoobyscott

Quote from: sagecirca on April 03, 2017, 11:50:37 AM
Technically yes but a little tweaked.  Have you got Steve Thornton's books? Some good step by steps in there.  The hardest bit was actually getting the small foam that allows the aerowing, cdc and partridge to sit proud.  I found a supplier in the states when on holiday. It's called razor foam.  Let me know how you get on  :)
Yeah I've got both his books. I just couldn't get the gist of tying in the partridge 'legs' though. I'm kind of a monkey see monkey do type of learner  :? Will give it another go at some point but was scunnered trying

sagecirca

Quote from: scoobyscott on April 03, 2017, 09:26:00 PM
Yeah I've got both his books. I just couldn't get the gist of tying in the partridge 'legs' though. I'm kind of a monkey see monkey do type of learner  :? Will give it another go at some point but was scunnered trying

In all honesty you aren't missing out much with this pattern.  I've only found it successful on the Tweed during MB hatches.  Struggled on the Clyde and similar rivers. 

Tweed

Fascinating thread.  For what it's worth, here ya go . . .

Stillwater wets
[attachimg=1]

Stillwater dries/nymphs
[attachimg=2]

River box
[attachimg=3]

"Specials"
[attachimg=4]

"Extra-specials"
[attachimg=5]

Plus assorted tubs, boxes, and pockets full of rubbish, that I try to leave behind. . .  :roll: . . . and then of course there's the other species stuff . . . .  :roll: :lol:

Andy T

Go To Front Page