News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

Quote from: burnie on March 12, 2017, 10:51:02 PM
I tried some Birch Sap after watching Ray Mears extolling the virtues of it , tapped from my own tree down the garden, that boy has no sense of taste, it's minging, I certainly wouldn't put it in decent Malt.

If you get the timing wrong it goes very bitter. It usually tastes like a slightly sugary mineral water. It can also ferment after 3 days making it vinegary.

superscot

Bought this.......
[attachimg=1]

SoldierPmr

Quote from: superscot on July 11, 2018, 02:18:06 PM
Bought this.......
[attachimg=1]

I got a bottle for Christmas a couple of years ago I enjoyed it. It definitely tasted better once the air got to it though.

burnie

I am avoiding non age statement whiskies more and more, on a recent visit to a local distillery, they told us most of their "main brand" was "mostly 4 or 5 years old, yet it is dearer than a couple of well liked 12 year olds, someone's having a laugh. I shall call in at Dalwhinnie and Talisker on my to get the ferry, will pop in the new Harris one at Tarbet, but they won't be selling whisky yet, I tried the Lewis Abhainn Dearg and I wasn't too impressed.

Noddy

I'm taking the same approach as Burnie and only buying age stated malts.  I got the same info from my mate who works for Chivas.

Jim

burnie

I have toured a fair few distilleries over the past few years and have seen the rise in "fancy named, no age statement" brands, some have some old whisky in them, but the bulk is much younger. Some I do like, the Quarter Cask from Laphroaig is one in particular, but I think some are cashing in on the surge for Malt and just using younger stuff as a filler to fill the shelves in shops, the Macallan Gold is one in particular, I am told by those in the trade, that one is a big mistake by a big player.

Robbie

I suspect the price is more an indication of the number of bottles available rather than the quality of the whisky. A good example that springs to mind is Lagavullin, their standard 16yo bottling is to my mind a lovely dram and can be bought for around £50. Couple of year short ago my wife bought me a bottle of 12yo which cost around £72 but it was very rough by comparison.

On the no age statement whisky, by avoiding these you run the risk of cutting off your nose to spit your face. Aberlour a'bunadh is a great example, a lovely dram which to tastes like a mix between an island and a speyside.  Others I would recommend would be glenfiddich IPA and XX, there are plenty others out there.

Apparently glen fiddich do not bottle a whiskey under 12yo even in their non age statement bottling.

Noddy

That's what I was told using younger malts in these unaged malts due to the demand for malt whisky.  What gets me is that they then try and punt it as something special.  I would rather buy the 12 yr  malt form Aldi at £19.99.  Everybody's taste is different and I believe our tastes change as we get older as does whisky.  I have never liked Glenfiddich any form but recently got a present of Select Cask as a present(only available in duty free), which I am enjoying.

Jim

Part-time

Quote from: SoldierPmr on March 12, 2017, 08:12:32 PM
Laphroaig Select and Birch sap makes a different drink.

Didn't notice this before - that's an interesting idea to try next spring :) The sap I collect gets used to make birch syrup.

Quote from: burnie on March 12, 2017, 10:51:02 PM
I tried some Birch Sap after watching Ray Mears extolling the virtues of it , tapped from my own tree down the garden, that boy has no sense of taste, it's minging, I certainly wouldn't put it in decent Malt.
I'd give it another try Burnie, as Liam says, it sounds like you collected it a little too late or kept it too long - even in the fridge 3 or 4 days max. Should just taste like very refreshing water when it's straight from the tree.

burnie

Quote from: Part-time on July 11, 2018, 11:27:27 PM
Didn't notice this before - that's an interesting idea to try next spring :) The sap I collect gets used to make birch syrup.
I'd give it another try Burnie, as Liam says, it sounds like you collected it a little too late or kept it too long - even in the fridge 3 or 4 days max. Should just taste like very refreshing water when it's straight from the tree.

I was drinking it straight from the tree in my garden, maybe my tree wasn't a very good vintage that year, it just tasted like chewing a piece of wood to me lol.

Go To Front Page