News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

A question for the enlightened. How much water if any do you put in your whisky?

P

burnie

[attachimg=1]
They are just selling Gin, which is not my favourite tipple, I had the Lewis single when I was last there, didn't bother going to the Abhainn Dearg distillery, I'm waiting for the new Port Ellen one to open in 2020, trouble is it's likely to be 2028 before we see any whisky!!

burnie

Quote from: arawa on July 15, 2018, 12:41:37 PM
I had never heard of this distillery but it was absolutely no hardship at all helping 2 friends finish this bottle!
[attachimg=1]

I had the "Flora & Fauna " series bottle, very nice nip, I was in the Dalwhinnie the other week on my way to Lewis, they had some rather nice stuff on offer and some small sweeties at a mere £1-50 each to have with your dram. The wife had the sweeties I stuck to the whisky.

superscot

Depends on how much. A little bit of water (a teaspoon or two in a glass) will "open out" the flavour and can actually make the whisky tastier. I find its better to add water to the south Islay malts, it works very well opening up the peatiness.

With the smoother malts from Speyside, especially the really smoothe ones water can make them a little bit insipid.

Any malt will be spoiled if you add too much water. I think this is where the "no water in malt" comes from: to many people a "whisky and water" is around 50:50 water:whisky. At that level of dilution you will get rid of most of the character of the malt and might as well save your money and go for a cheap blend.

Really all down to individual tatse

Bobfly

I did read fairly recently research confirming the a little water does indeed release more flavour. Swedish research quoting chemical info!! I put a bit in but 10% might be about all. Speysiders can be a tad bland for me but I cant remember ever saying no.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

I usually add a little water, but as others have said the amount varies on the whisky. The first time I try a new dram i will try it neat and then add a little water in stages trying it as i go. A little water is usually a few drops.

I find that many younger cask strength whisky have such high alcohol contents that they usually benefit from a little more water. Having said that I still add water in really small amounts just in case.

50/50 is usually applied to the likes of grouse, bells etc.

Bobfly

Any thoughts on Black Bottle as a keenly priced day to day whisky? I rather like it but a tad hard on flavour strength for some maybe?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I like black bottle Vaughan and it's usually well priced. J&b is a blend I enjoy with a beer as well

Robbie

Quite partial to black bottle, another one worth looking at is Monkey Shoulder an exta £10 roughly but still less than £30.

Noddy

I would also recommend Monkey Shoulder its a blended malt.  Usually around £25 in the supermarkets.  Its made by Grants, it must have a lot of Balvenie in it as I'm not keen on their Glenfiddich.

Jim

Go To Front Page