News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A wee box for South Uist.

Started by Highlander, June 10, 2015, 06:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: Highlander on June 12, 2015, 01:16:07 PM
I would rather take up golf than use some of these "modern" flies. Tight Lines
fair enough. the soldier palmer was modern once....  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Are you putting 1 wrap of thread around the back of the wing to have it raised like that?

Wildfisher

That looks like one of Stan's flies to me.  :lol:

diogg

Understand your views on the 'fly' in question, Highlander, each to their own.  It was first tried in desperation on East Loch Bee!  Very interested in your views on the soldier palmer/GOB question - I would not have viewed them as options in the way you describe, but get the point about the numbers of different patterns building in your box.  Wish you great success with the SP - it never does it for me.  I see you have the Alexandra in your box - a controversial pattern indeed!  http://midcurrent.com/history/a-dreadful-scourge/

Highlander

The Alexandra is one of these flies anglers love or hate.  Reason why I have a few in my box is that it is a handy fly to have on the tail when there are Stickleback or fry in the water. Whilst not an exact imitation is appears to have certain  colours that in circumstances Trout  find attractive. The Soldier to me is a must pattern for upland waters. As a bob fly it is without peers & my go to fly for the bob on waters I first visit . If  indeed it is not taken which does happen a switch to a Claret or Black pattern such as Black Zulu or Pennell & a Claret Bumble or Claret Sedgehog type fly usually finds one of them attractive. On bright windy days a Loch Ordie, Palmered Wickam or similar as long as it has a hint of gold in the dressing. Still nothing is written in stone & the enterprizing angler may just find something entirely different on the day & as it should be. If we knew all the answear's it would become just too easy. Part of the beauty of our game. When be think Bob Fly  a big percentage of us upland fishers thing "bushy" Wonder how many think Winged. Many years ago when I fished Leven a lightly dressed Kingfisher, Silver or Hard Gold Butcher & the more natural Burleigh all with upright wings as in Clyde Style worked  a treat. From what I read not many would even think of giving them a go much relying on "modern" flies to tempt a Trout. I would never presume to tell others what to use. I merely tell what I like & why. Others can make up their own minds.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

corsican dave

Quote from: Highlander on June 13, 2015, 01:08:56 PM
From what I read not many would even think of giving them a go much relying on "modern" flies to tempt a Trout.
I think you're absolutely spot on! there's far to much reliance on the latest "fad" flies, rather than trying to work out what will actually tempt a fish in the given circumstances. i'm just going to nip up a tiny stream I've just sussed out with my mind on tiny upwings, spiders and maybe tiny nymphs. but i'll have a couple of streamers in the box, just in case... :wink: i'll probably leave the ear-plug poppers at home, tho'!  :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Fishtales

I have flies in my box that I wouldn't consider using. Why? Because they were given to me by well intentioned anglers who recommended them as the go to fly and A) they aren't flies I would use and B) I don't use flies I  haven't tied myself.

We all set our own limits that wont suit every one.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

diogg

Interesting discussion.  I caught my first brown trout from a boat on an alexandra - on the Daer Reservoir in the Leadhills, probably around 1968 or 1969. (I was 10 or 11.)  I used it a lot as a kid, but very rarely since.  The blue zulu became my fly of choice for brown trout and remains high on my favourites list, along with bibio, various invictas and the ubiquitous Kate.  I still have a couple of alexandras in my SU/Scourie box, so must give them a fair swim this summer (if it arrives).  Thank you for reminding me that I must tie up a few butchers - bloody was my usual choice, followed by kingfisher.  I might add a couple of silver and Hardy's Gold if time permits.  For some reason I cannot get on with the soldier palmer, not for want of trying, or for fishing with others for whom it works - a bit, for me, like some others have said about the Peter Ross.  Isn't this whole thing fascinating?  I'm glad we are not all the same.  Many thanks to the nice wee trout that took my silver stoat today on the Shiel, but you were not the fish I was looking for....
Tight lines, David. 

Lochan_load

Some good ideas for my list for uist, I've done some goats toe variants and started on some muddlers but I've got a few to go. Regarding the machair claret I don't hackle the French partridge, just tie it in as a tail. Never fished it much but it's a lovely fly.

Nice to hear others views on flies, I myself love the traditional scottish patterns and loch style flies but I fish sedgehogs a lot, tend to use them on the point of a washing line rather than as a bob, prefer a muddler or something bushy, soldier palmer or a Kate or one of my own concoctions, all work. Recently the pearly muddler and soldier muddler have worked well for me. Saying all this though I've always got a fair few streamers in the box in 8 & 10 long shanks of all else fails and fished a cats whisker mini lure on a hill loch lately when others weren't working and did well, they're great colours for rainbows so why not brownies??

If anyone has suggestions for good point flies that don't involve a paired wing id be grateful, hate tying them and I'm shit at them!

Laxdale

:D
Here is an idea....
Once upon a time whilst drifting around on Loch Vochmid catching nothing, I had a bright idea.
I stuck a 3" Comet Waddington/fast sink line on and tried stipping it back in really fast.
6 casts, 6 ok sea trout and I suspected that maybe it wasnt sporting and stopped.
Dare you......

Go To Front Page