News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Never Ending Search

Started by Wildfisher, September 25, 2015, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

.... for a way to ditch the fishing vest.

The bumbag route was a failure, utterly useless for wading and no good for carrying essentials like waterproofs, water, sandwiches etc.

The way now has to be a lanyard for the cutters, gink etc and a small, well designed  lightweight fishing  rucksack for carrying the essentials: spare fleece, waterproofs, water, sandwiches, flyboxes  etc ad for hanging the lading net off.

I don't want anything my chest, flapping about etc. It drives me nuts.  :D

Any suggestions, what do you use?

corsican dave

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests-packs/headwaters-hip-pack.html

I wear mine with the shoulder strap around my neck and with the pack carried high and on my left side with the waist belt cinched tight to stabilize/take the weight. hopefully you can see it from this photo. unless the water's more than waist-deep it doesn't get wet and being slung to my left it's easy to access and doesn't interfere with casting.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on September 25, 2015, 06:35:58 PM
http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests-packs/headwaters-hip-pack.html

I wear mine with the shoulder strap around my neck and with the pack carried high and on my left side with the waist belt cinched tight to stabilize/take the weight. hopefully you can see it from this photo. unless the water's more than waist-deep it doesn't get wet and being slung to my left it's easy to access and doesn't interfere with casting.

Something about that size that could  go on my back would be perfect. I really do not like anything waist mounted, I find it restrictive  and they get wet anyway if I have to wade deep - say crossing a river.

Part-time

I've been using a lanyard for a few seasons now after seeing Alan & Deergravey using them. Way better than the vest I used to use, keeps all the essential bits ans bobs together and helps keep things minimalist.

I do have a Snowbee fishing rucksack but actually prefer the cheap (sorry Dave :)) Karimor rucksacks; 15 litre or 30 litre for a longer day. 

Bobfly

I go with a lightweight short wading jacket with pouch pockets for holding all stuff to do with the fishing bit, and a small rucksack to hold everything else by way of food and drink and whatever.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

A small day sac for me. Not ideal as to have to un sling it if you want to use it. Ok on the bank but useless out on the water. but probably the best solution for the items Fred mentions. A 15 litre Bergaus like the one I use is  ideal for a days fishing. I am a recent convert to the "Bum bag" but yes it is no good if you want to "deep" wade" but for stomping along a rocky loch shoreline they are ideal. They can be kept at the back out the way & swung round if you require access to bag. I have the Orvis one. A short wading jacket with capacious bellows type pockets is a good bet too. Never tried the lanyard method but very popular Stateside. It is real horses for courses though & everyone will have their own ideas as a to what suits them.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

I use a smaller cheaper version of this at the moment. I'm seriously considering this as it has sufficient room for everything I'd like to carry. They are very comfortable and easy to use. I just don't know about the price, It is very expensive for a fishing bag ! Still , it is a quality bit of kit and it would be a joy to use. We're only here once I suppose !

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/simms-headwater-large-sling-pack.html

Robbie

I have an orvis pack, can't remember the name just now but it has two large-ish pockets on the front strap and a small back pack. Not a huge volume storage but enough for a day if you are efficient.

Just had a look on the Orvis site but they don't seem to do them any more. However they now do some sling packs, might be good as you should be able to access the bag without taking it off:
http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/safe-passage-sling-pack/14zf

Wildfisher

Problem solved. Solution tested.  :8)

Was fishing in Ranunanculs Villie this afternoon, 21*C, no wind, sunshine.  :8) :8)

[attachimg=1]

Used this Fulling Mill lanyard gismo I bought from Denis at Loopy Leaders the other day. £12 or so.

[attachimg=2]

I dug out my old small Snowbee waterproof fishing rucksack that I normally use for hand luggage on planes.    What I did do was cut off all the superfluous tat on the rucksack, handles, various straps and clips etc. What the hell they for I just don't know. Crap to trap the tackle tart I guess. I left the padded shoulder and waist straps, so it's dead stable.

The entire setup worked a treat and is far more comfortable than the fishing vest which is impractical and very uncomfortable  when you have sandwiches, water, spare clothing etc to carry.

I even caught a few fish.  :8) :8) :8)

Wildfisher

It was like being 20 again Tony  :lol:

It's actually a very good lanyard, the beads help! Others I tried tended to tangle, this one does not and the foam collar makes it very comfy on the neck. The overall height is adjustable too and it has a very simple but effective way of preventing it swinging around, the obvious croc clip on the bottom can attach to your shirt, waders etc

Go To Front Page