News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lightweight Indicator

Started by east wind, September 18, 2014, 06:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

I've a few issues with using indicators with nymphs and spiders. Casting the things being the biggest to the point I'm not enjoying my fishing.

Although I carry two spools with different lenghs of tapered leader, my set up is pretty ridged. I use tippet rings. Most of the time the set up is about 17-18 feet long so if i try NZ style with the nymph tied to the hook I'm way too long. If its on a dropper tied to the ring I get tangled with something. Worse case was losing a hog when the dropper got caught in the net.

For me it also takes too long changing anyway, so here's my prototype for a quick change lightweight indicator.
A spring chain link with some aerowing. Trout feeding just subsurface, clip indicator on to the tippet ring. Trout on the surface, clip off. Simples.

Obviously needs some work yet but I'm thinking the idea is sound.

[attachimg=1]
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Wildfisher

To some extent this would fit with my set up Mac.  For months I have been fishing with  a 5 foot furled leader that terminates in a tippet ring. I attach various tippets to  this. It works well. When nymph fishing my fly line is rarely on the water and most times neither is the furled leader.  The less drag, the more fish. I could clip on  that type of indicator to the tippet ring, only problem I see is it's not depth adjustable which when nymph fishing in is pretty important as no two runs / pools are the same depth. For upstream wets / spiders it would be perfect

east wind

Quote from: admin on September 18, 2014, 07:06:40 PMonly problem I see is it's not depth adjustable which when nymph fishing in is pretty important as no two runs / pools are the same depth. For upstream wets / spiders it would be perfect

Aye, it is limited in that respect. I'm thinking three to four feet is about the most common I use for unweighted and lightly weighted spiders and nymphs, and that's what I have for my dries which is most of my fishing.  Heavy weighted nymphs I tend to use a bit less finesse and lob them down and across. No use on your streams right enough.

I probably don't search under the water enough and clearly at times fishing the bottom gets the results. With heavier nymphs I could tie a bigger bunch in and I suppose a longer straight section. Then It's becoming a bit of a faff again.

highlander2504

Wildfisher

It's a great idea and sharing these kind of ideas can sometimes help develop them further.

highlander2504

It is a good idea.
My last comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

Wildfisher

I  know it was tongue in cheek Kevin, my own tongue is seldom out of my own cheek!  :D

Bobfly

A possibility here is to use the very small sizes or rubber "O" rings along the same lines as the tube sleeve of the style bought by Fred.
Pass a loop of leader through the small O ring then catch in the loop a length of polypropylene floating yarn and draw down the leader loop to catch the yarn into the O ring.
This would give the same result as a sleeved system and could me moved along the leader.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

east wind

Gave the indicator a test today. Set up a single nymph, clip on an indicator and I was off. It cast like a wee sweetie even into a breeze. No tangles or wind knots

I fancy this will be very handy next season when I find trout feeding just below the surface.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Still blanked though  :lol: More to do with the conditions and my lack of skill.

Go To Front Page