News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I saw an interesting challenge one year at the Ayrshire game fair. They had things like window panes, gates, hoops and cones,  I can't remember why I didn't have a go. It looked to be fun. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

I've discovered at long last that the best way to get good presentation on rivers (well for these trout anyway!) is to use a really long leader, you then get a good bit of slack in the leader and only have to worry about making pretty large general kind of mends or none at all to your fly line. Super lazy, super economy of effort  :lol: I'm just back from a trip where my leader from fly line to bottom fly was about 20-22', it worked a treat  :8)

I should add that this is a piss poor solution in a downstream wind as it is totally impossible to cast  :lol: Need to get to bed now, will post a report of the trip up tomorrow if I get a chance.

Malcolm

Scotty,

That's something I picked up from Buzz last season I always fished with leaders about 11-13ft long but changed to a longer leader last season. I think it makes a difference to how much drag is imparted. I've also come to the conclusion that although light nylon doesn't make much difference on lochs it does make a difference on rivers as it imparts less drag.

To jaw like this

gasman

The casting club had a very good turnout today.
[attachimg=1]

Thanks to Aweman for the donuts.
[attachimg=2]
Alan what happened to the game of golf?  :lol:
Hope to see you all next week.

All the best,
Gary  :D

Inchlaggan

The cones are breeding! At this rate there will be over a thousand by the start of the broonie season!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I enjoyed it today, lots of people and a wonderful little rod to try: a Hanak 2 weight. Thanks to Tony (AKA Andrew Moray) for bringing it along. As delightful a little rod as you could wish for.

To jaw like this

haresear

I fair enjoyed this week. We had some new guys and I think they all got something out of it.

A young boy, Ollie looks very promising indeed as a caster. He is real novice in terms of experience, but soaks up information like a sponge. I think he'll be brilliant as a caster and with his enthusiasm, as an angler too.

Invictor introduced himself and showed me his flies :shock:. Very nice they were too and I'm sure the Clyde trout will find them as attractive as I did.

Thomas from Hungary was an example of excellence in distance casting. I had a shot with his outfit and it really was night and day. Compared to Thomas, I can't cast for toffee. The guys who are better than you are the people to really listen to.

Andrew Moray very kindly donated a #7 Bloke XL50 9' rod for use by GCC members. I churlishly forgot to mention this today, but if you want to use or borrow the rod (Aweman might be interested?) just let me know. I'll have it with me.

Next week I doubt if I'll make it and then I'll be visiting southern hemisphere summer for a few weeks. It is likely to be 20th of March before I turn up again, so Alan has the hoops and cones meantime.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Thomas sounds like my kind of guy! Is he just a new member that has come along? I'm intrigued  :)

invictor

thanks for saying hello Alan it was good to put faces to the names.
Alex thanks for the encouragement enjoy your trip.

Andrew Moray

Glad you liked the rod Malcolm, I think the non-fishermen weren't so keen  :D
Despite it being excellently busy, I had the pond to myself for quite some time.
Epiphany - switch rods are pish.

It was nice to see those that give selflessly of their time, advice and instruction, get some time, advice and instruction, from a flycasting "Dude".

Thanks Alex, Alan and Thomas.

Go To Front Page