News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Favourite/best tackle shop?

Started by burnie, March 08, 2016, 09:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

What prompted this is a much anticipated visit to a shop I have heard about and seen pictures of and threatened to visit for nigh on ten years. When I finally get up there to visit, I was a bit disappointed with bits of everything, but not really the things you would want or need. Plenty of expensive rods and reels on show, but little in the way of fly tying gear for example, friendly enough staff and gave me the information I wanted for some Salmon/Sea trout fishing for a bit later in the year.
What do you get or expect from your local or ideal tackle shop?

Wildfisher

Neil Anderson's Angus Angling in Forfar is pretty good. Best selection of fly tying stuff I have ever seen under one roof. Neil is also  helpful, will give you a good deal and order stuff for you if he does not have it in stock. 

I have heard folk wax lyrical about Kate Fleming's in Blairgowrie, but others tell me it's not really up to much stock wise.

Bobfly

Angling Active at the Stirling auction mart site is good for local knowledge with staff involved with local clubs. Plenty of selection of kit and happy to seek out anything not in at the time.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: claretbumble on March 09, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
Grahams in Inverness .... Local knowledge, great selection of gear, and a wonderful place to browse away an hour!
i'll second that.
mortimers in grantown are very good to me, but obviously more salmon oriented generally speaking. however, they now stock swff flies and pike fly gear  :shock:
i'm going to stick my neck out here, but I now find an (enforced) visit to house of bruar is a very pleasant experience. the guys are really nice once you get to know them and there's some very sexy kit to play with. certainly far better than when there was no tackle shop....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Moggie

Hugo Ross in Wick.   Quality, extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Do it well, Do it once.

seamab

Kate Fleming in Blairgowrie, make sure you've got plenty time on your hands for chucks chat though!

fergie

Since Dannys den (formerly Kents) shut my local tackle shop is Glasgow Angling Centre.
Loads of tackle to peruse i can spend a hr or more just buying a packet of swivels.

Highlander

Afraid the "small tackle shop" has had it day. A few in Glasgow still hang on but I wonder for how much longer.
I remember well some Glasgow shops

Arthur Allan, No 3 West Nile Street
CC Mann, West George St was it?
W H Robertson, Wellingtom St
Cafaro Bros.' Hope St
Alex Martin, Royal Exchange Square
Crockarts ??
James Kent Nee Danny's Den, Yoker

A few other the names escape me all gone, only ones left I believe is Anglers Rendevous & Tackle & Guns, the former having left it's city centre location in Parnie Street for the Eastern wastelands that is Shettleston
Got to commend GAC for it's selection, its staff in the past were most unhelpful but it has got a lot better the last few years. No bad for someone that started with a stall in the Barrows. Maybe not a place to stop & chat but there you go can't have it all ways.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Fishtales

Highlander

Pauls ( I think that was his name ) dad owned a shop in Cumbernauld Village and he took it over eventually opening GAC and ran GAC and the small shop at the same time. I got a lot of fly tying stuff, hooks and George bought his first rod from there way back in the '80's I think.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

burnie

I guess the ones that will survive also have a website and do mail order, I'm lucky to have 4 shops I use on a regular basis, Montrose is more of a gun shop, but does tickets for fly fishing and I buy some odds and sods from there. Arbroath is more for bait for sea fishing than anything else, just changed hands, so will see how it develops as he buys more stock. As already mentioned by Fred the Forfar shop is good, where I make my larger purchases for fly fishing gear, also intend to have a day with Neil on his beat on the North Esk after silver tourists soon. Anglers Choice in Dundee is where I make my larger purchases for sea fishing, need a replacement floatie suit pretty soon. So I try and support my local shops, have bought from the likes of House of Bruar(Hardy rod and reel last year) and visited the likes of Gows and Mortimers without managing to spend any money, used to go to Kate Flemings and Crocketts in Blairgowrie, but rarely buy much.

Go To Front Page