News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Favourite/best tackle shop?

Started by burnie, March 08, 2016, 09:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

When I was growing up in Dumfries we used to walk into town at lunchtimes and visit Macmillans, the guy who run it (pretty sure his name is billy) put up with us staring at stuff most days and never buying more than a couple of swivels. He fished the same loch as my grandpa and he always had good numbers of fish in the book. His daughter ties the flies for the shop and she is brilliant, best I've seen. she runs it now as well, her dad sits in the back room now and I think he's pretty infirm. Proper good old fashioned fishing shop

fergie

No it wasnt that.  It was a shame dannys den in yokershut down i used it a fair bit i preferred it to the GAC.
I know he had another shop in Ayrshire
It was a family name. 
I found a bag with some swivels in it among some old tackle I was given with thw name on it but cant remember.

fergie

This is driving me mad.  Someone must know the name of that shop
Tausneys rings a bell but im not sure if that was it opposite the train station, pale blue front ols style shop sold milbro and lots of course fishing gear.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Billy

Catani is still there.

I passed through Anniesland on the train a couple of weeks ago and spotted it.
I don't remember buying anything out of there although I worked around the corner in Barr and Stroud,s for the best part of ten years.

Tausney's had a shop on Glasgow road a couple of hundred yards from John Browns gate heading towards Yoker. I think they may have had another down in Dalmuir but I am not sure. It was the Glasgow road one I used and then they moved round to Alexander street.

Once I started working I used to go to James Kent when I got off the ferry at Yoker on the way back from Johnstone/Paisley. He was a nice guy but never looked well. I remember when he took a heart attack and then I think the shop was sold on.

I think there were three angling shops in Falkirk when I moved there as well as the one in Carronshore. Carronshore is the only one left now.

Billy

fergie

It was the last shop down that lane it became a charity shop dont know what it is now. I will search for that wee bag tonight. :roll:
It must have closed in the mid 80s.

Suki1312

Good old tackle shop in kilmarnock closed in the 80s . McCrirricks done everything
Every day is a school day

Tweed

Popped my head into Somers in Aberdeen last week for the first time.  Was quite impressed with the overall range.  I needed bits and pieces for spinning, beach-casting, a few floats, and some fly-tying gear.  Got the lot under the one roof, and the guys were pleasant enough.  Browsing a shop definately beats the internet.

Picking up on an earlier comment, I think Neil has it right at Angus Angling in Forfar.  Good stock in the shop, but the internet side of the business more than competes with most of the big-boys on that front too.  The combination of the 2 is probably what's needed to sustain a decent business.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on July 26, 2016, 01:00:46 PM
I think Neil has it right at Angus Angling in Forfar.  Good stock in the shop, but the internet side of the business more than competes with most of the big-boys on that front too.  The combination of the 2 is probably what's needed to sustain a decent business.

Neil also works as a ghillie on the Gallery beat of the North Esk. His father, Pete, also a keen angler, looks after the shop for him when he is on the river. Angus Angling and Anglers Choice in Dundee are the best two tackle shops I have been in over recent years. Neil's range of fly tying materials and hooks is impressive.

Robbie

Service for online purchases from Angus angling is also excellent.

Go To Front Page