News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wading staff

Started by James, June 24, 2012, 12:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

strap it to the crossbar.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Traditionalist

I used to ride all over the place, on pushbikes, and on various motorcycles with my rod(s), wading staff and landing net slung on my back.  Never had a problem with it. You can also bolt or strap a length of PVC drainpipe, capped at the bottom, diagonally or vertically to the frame and stick your stuff in that.

TL
MC

James

trust me the boy racers around here are more likely to use you as moving target practice.
been out walking many a time along the road and they have swerved onto other side of the road to aim right at you and turn at last second.
they use the quiet country roads around here as race tracks , drag strips. and as an easy means to braking into cars in a car park next to Loch Leven  and then racing off.

the bike i had been looking at getting you could not bolt or attach anything to its frame  ( no room ) , so will have a look at what else was available in my size on the site i will be using.

i almost had a heart attack when i seen some of the prices for bike chains , and yep i would be locking my bike up to fence post or tree.

Billy

I bought a Leki telescopic wading staff from a local shop in Falkirk, strangely itself called Leckies. It is a bit of an emporium where you can pick up odds and ends. The wading staff itself cost me £8 and which was an amazing price. I have had it for about four seasons now and have never had any trouble. It is not weighted but has a rubber stopper on the end. To be honest in some of the flows I waded into you would need a fair weight to keep it down anyway.

If you are going to put your full body weight on most staffs they will either break, bend or collapse. It is for balance only while either stepping or shuffling your way out from the bank. I have also used branches when I have forgotton to take it with me but anything is better than nothing. I did think of making one out of an old brush handle but the telescopic one is really handy retracted and hanging under my arm on a bungee.

I find wading without one a real nuisance and as Fred found out a bit dangerous.

Billy

burnie

For the past couple of years I've done most of my fishing out in chest waders up to my arm pits,two things I've found.Firstly a weighted stick is a pain in the arse,gets stuck between your legs and can be down right dangerours,much better if it floats in my opinion.I use a break down type that fits in a sheath on your belt if you want,no more than 10 inches long,held together with a strong elastic.You don't want any sort of rubber on the end as it will slip,it needs a good solid point to wedge into the gaps in the stones,then you can put most of your weight on it.A tripod is the most stable thing and thats what a wading sticks job is.You might use it to find holes,but that's not it's purpose,as has been said you should slide your foot forward(or which ever way you're going in),place it,put your weight on it,then move the other when you're happy.I've had quite a few anglers float past me recently and most admit,they just got careless after fish,concentrate if you are wearing chesties and if you're not a strong swimmer , get a life jacket too.

Buanán

Another vote for the floating staff, I just hang it over my shoulder on it's lanyard so that it stays behind my back when I want to get it out of my way.

James

i think i am leaning more towards carrying a small folding saw in my rucksack , and just cutting a branch thats suitable lol. or picking up a branch thats laying down already.

but as someone said previously , i dont walk normal i shuffle forward , plant foot down and make sure it is safe then bring the other foot forward a little .
even though i am a strong swimmer the thought did come to me that i am using thigh waders at the moment , if i step to deep or fall in they will weigh a fair auld bit once full of water.
i have been looking for cheap chest waders and it seems Neoprene are cheaper for some reason , but everyone tells me Neoprene in summer is NOT a good idea , you end up  being soaked with sweat and cooked to the bone on a hot day lol.
the company that made the thigh waders have chesties in my shoe size and are reasonably priced.

Traditionalist

It doesn't make any difference what waders you are using or if they fill up with water.  Water weighs nothing in water, it is only heavy if you try to stand in them on land.  You can swim in waders without any problems, although it is usually better to float.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=salmo+the+leaper&oq=salmo+the+leaper&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.794174.807050.0.807233.62.27.7.7.8.3.221.2526.9j17j1.27.0...0.0.7v_GNpVT3rA

he jumps in to a deep strong stream wearing waders to prove it;

Salmo the Leaper Hugh Falkus Part 2

TL
MC

James

Mike i am only going on what i was taught many years ago when i did a lifeguard course , when we had to show up wearing clothes and boots then jump in the pool.
that once clothing is wet you do become heavier and it holds you down.

Personally the thought only entered my head for a split second and i was not bothered after that .

Traditionalist

Quote from: James on June 26, 2012, 01:45:36 PM
Mike i am only going on what i was taught many years ago when i did a lifeguard course , when we had to show up wearing clothes and boots then jump in the pool.
that once clothing is wet you do become heavier and it holds you down.

Personally the thought only entered my head for a split second and i was not bothered after that .

Clothing, and indeed everything else, is lighter in water. That is a physical property. I know a lot of people believe otherwise. They are simply wrong.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page