News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cast (leader) making for beginners

Started by Wildfisher, June 15, 2005, 08:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badger

Hi Bob,
when you say a '2 turn' Uni knot, do you mean the tag is passed through the loop just twice, as in Stage 2 on the website http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/guides/cg2003Sp_Uniknot/?

thanks.

Bob Wyatt

Badger,  yes.  Two times through the loop.  I use this for pretty well all my trout leaders. Occasionally I'll run the mono through the eye of the hook twice before I tie the Uni, but always just two turns.  Had breaks, of course, but never had a pull out.  

I have an idea it's because of the shape of the square knot it forms with two turns - a nice and symetrical 'figure eight'.

Havtafish

Ive never known what the knot was called. I found it in an obscure publication in Canada in a panfishing article in 95. I started using it for Steelhead and Chinook Salmon with no problems. I noticed the right angle properties you mention and thought it would be a great knot for droppers. Ive been using it ever since. Even got a 65 lbs Tope using it. Uncleboo said he also has used it for sea fishing.Give it a try and let me know how you get on with it.

Quotei just might pack my travel rod

Ive said that a few times myself :wink:  :) Good Luck

Scott

Go To Front Page