News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Ringing

Started by Bobfly, March 02, 2018, 07:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

A couple of years back one of my (40+) sons gave me a 7 piece Shakey 9' 6 piece which is a nice easy action job and very small and goes into my top  float tube pocket. The rod though is a bit of a cheapie so the rings are pretty heavy duty thickly wired although I like the blank and also the real seat is a good twin screw secure type. I am pondering a ring upgrade but know of no "ringers" nor the likely cost.  Any info would be welcome.  I could just give a go and fix up an arrangement on the wood lathe but maybe a professional job would be a prettier result.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

A bit of poor typing, I do not have more than 40 sons, but the ones I have are over 40 years old.
Secondly, the rod is a 9' ,7 piece, 6 weight ... so a dinky wee job.

Highlander

Sure you will find what you want here.
http://www.guidesnblanks.com/rod_db

Main site,  best there is for rod building supplies
http://www.guidesnblanks.com/home

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Part-time

May be a wee bit out of date (and out of the way for you) but you could try phoning the Elgin Angling Centre, Moss Street, 01343 547615. They replaced the tip ring on a rod for me 6 or 7 years ago and I'm sure did re-ringing of the whole rod. Wasn't expensive and nicely done. I'd guess a few tackle shops might still do this or know someone who does so, if you're not already, phoning around a few might be worth a try. 

Bobfly

Angling Active in Stirling do tip rings. I was going to ask in there next week.

Bobfly

I wss chatting to the Simba chap at the flees fair in Stirling. Looked an expensive option! It is just a thought but the rod is a back up in essence so inertia will win out. They have a nice relaxed action.

arawa

Quote from: Bobfly on March 02, 2018, 07:22:21 PM
A couple of years back one of my (40+) sons gave me a 7 piece Shakey 9' 6 piece which is a nice easy action job and very small and goes into my top  float tube pocket. The rod though is a bit of a cheapie so the rings are pretty heavy duty thickly wired although I like the blank and also the real seat is a good twin screw secure type. I am pondering a ring upgrade but know of no "ringers" nor the likely cost.  Any info would be welcome.  I could just give a go and fix up an arrangement on the wood lathe but maybe a professional job would be a prettier result.

I know Simon Barnes from Scourie days and a friend has one of his rods. Very good but not cheap.

I am hopeless at DIY but it is not difficult to whip on new rings. The photo is of a ring I fitted on my second ever rod (the first was a greenheart) when I was about 14 - and then used for several years.
Not pretty but perfectly functional. Good rings (Fuji ??) are not expensive and are available online or from most tackle shops.

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page