News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Nice sbs there's only one problem, you make it se so simple. I hate tying winged flys just dont have the patience

corsican dave

okay, I promise I won't bore you with any more toads for a while; this looks like the final version. firstly, I wanted to darken it all down a bit, since my local aliens aren't really used to emerald tree frogs. most toads are actually a rather dark brown/olive, bordering on black.  I knotted an olive ewing hackle on top of the leg. this is probably bordering on sacrilege to proper tiers; but it worked! I shortened the yellow marabou at the tail, and substituted brown marabou at the body where i'd used green earlier. the main body is as per the Kelly galloup original, which is a white braid. our local toads are quite pale underneath. the brown marabou is tied in a small clump either side of the body, none on top or underside of the hook. I use this technique quite a lot with other patterns to give a bit of width without adding weight. once the mallard flanks are tied in on the back (transverse style), I put a blob of superglue on and let it dry before finishing off the head. now I just need to take one for a swim somewhere!  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

If I do go out tomorrow here is a harey cast I've just come up with.

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

I've been tying up a load of my go-to early season dry duns, the ones  I use when LDOs are about. Dead simple. I can knock them out in a few minutes so if they get lost  or chewed it does not matter. There are always lots of them in the box.

It's quite lightly coloured, but that seems to work better for me that darker olive patterns for some reason or other. I'm certain they  work well because they are lightly dressed. The materials mean that even a lightly dressed fly is not hard to see on the water.

Hook: Fulling Mill 35025 Grab Gape Barbless Size 14  (I use a 16 from late May onwards)
Tail: Ginger hackle fibers
Thread and Body: Olive Sheer 14/0
Wing: Dun Aero Wing
Hackle: Ginger

[attachimg=1]

Clip the hackle flush underneath so the fly sits low. I never bother about getting these flies super-tidy with every wing fiber in exactly the right place. It's pointless. After a few casts and especially after a fish they won't look pristine any more. What matters is getting the dressing evenly balanced so that they sit square on the water and the right way up, not on their side. As soon as the fly no longer does that chuck it away and tie on a fresh one. I'd be less keen to do that with an Oliver Edwards model that took me  1/2 hour to tie.  :lol:

Suki1312

Like it Fred . Does exactly what it says on the tin
Every day is a school day

corsican dave

promises are made to be broken allegedly.. I got to thinking about what I really expected this fly to do and realised I wanted it to float about on some real skinny water and be dragged over lilly pads and reed beds without hooking up. so I did a new version on a bendback hook, with the idea that it would ride point uppermost. the legs hang down quite nicely too.
of course I've now got to wait for the weather to warm up a bit..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Clever stuff Dave. I like it !

Lochan_load

My take on a sunray shadow
[attachimg=1]

bibio1

Like that. A strange fly that can catch you nothing but give you the best day's fishing ever. Salmon launch themselves at it sometimes.

Olives today

Lochan_load

Nice flies, is the bottom left one a paraloop?
A flame cascade.....
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page