News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Amadou

Started by Traditionalist, February 01, 2007, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan Liddle on December 10, 2007, 09:52:20 PM
That's it i'm away to get some of that dry shake stuff. :D

Allan

Better see your bank manager first and arrange a second mortgage. The stuff is  a rip off. I think it's about ?8 for a small tub.  :shock: Works though. Just make sure there is no water on the fly before you dunk it or it quickly looses it's effectiveness. Great for CDC's

Traditionalist

Quote from: Allan Liddle on December 10, 2007, 09:14:42 PM
Can't say i've ever found this to be the case Mike, but will try it next time.

Allan

If you use genuine Amadou, it only works properly if it is soaked and pressed out beforehand. Using it dry is more or less a waste of time!  It works like a sponge, and a wet but wrung out sponge soaks up a lot more water than  a dry one.  It is the capillary action in the Amadou fibres which sucks the water out of the fly. If it is dry, the capillary tubes are closed, and it wont suck much water.

TL
MC

Highlander

QuoteThere was recently a good article in FFand FT on fly dryers acessing their blotting qualitys, the Samadou was slightly better (as well as being better value for money)than Amadou

Has not been my finding, I have yet to meet anything that does the job better than natural prepared Amadou. Tissue paper by the way is for wiping bums. See  below
:)
QuoteWell known angler  and long time writer Geoffrey Bucknall once wrote  that Amadou is less effective than a piece of kitchen roll
Never heard of him, just goes to show you can never trust the experts on occasion.

Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on December 26, 2007, 11:29:50 PM
Never heard of him, just goes to show you can never trust the experts on occasion.

That surprises me Alan. In the mid 1970s he was in just about every issue of Trout and Salmon.

Go To Front Page