News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

WATER SHED FLOATANT

Started by thewaterbouys, June 01, 2009, 05:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterbouys

cAN ANYONE GIVE ME A LINK TO GET SOME WATERSHED I HAD SOME BEFORE BUT I THINK I GOT IT FROM THE STATES. hELP :D

thewaterbouys

THANKS FOR THAT NORM BEEN TRYING ALL DAY FOR THE STUFF I FOUND IT ON THE SITE. :D

SouthFly

Glasgow Angling Center as well as Lakeland  Fly-tying stocks it.

What I've always used in the past is Loons Hydrostop, exactly the same stuff but you get a jar of the stuff for the same price as watershed, much better value.  Unfortunately, the UK distributor of Loon decided not to stock the product.

IrishFloatTube

How does it compare with permaflote?

SouthFly

I haven't used permafloat so can't comment which is better, but the permafloat you can apply while at the water, the Loon Hydrostop and the Watershed you have to apply it 24 hours before you wet the fly, it a permanant waterproofing agent (could use permafloat after if you wanted).

Hydrostop is what they soak the yarn strike indicators in

SouthFly

My apologies then, I thought permafloat was a water side treatment.  Then it would be similar to watershed and hydrostop

IrishFloatTube

Permafloat was developed by Richard Walker.
The solvent is carbon tetrachloride, and because of that and what with all the new 'elf n safety rules I'm not surprised it is gone or changed into something else.
But I never found a better liquid floatant.
My present supply is almost gone so I'll have to find a replacement as good or better soon.

Highlander

Permaflote is still available though have not seen it for a while. One thing I do know is that they have apparently changed the formula from the original Chubbs of Edgeware. I hear tell that it is not as good but have not used it myself. The "old" stuff was ideal as a pretreatment & for that reason I would treat my flies especially my dapping ones prior to use & if it gets slimed I would just snip off & but on a new treated one. Never used it a a bankside floatant but I am sure it would have worked ok. For that I use Loons Aquel. Watershed as said is a similar thing ie A pre-treatment.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page