News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

silver barbless hooks

Started by whinging pom, August 12, 2010, 02:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whinging pom

The only fly in my box that i buy is Royal wulffs from Orvis,(the rest are tied by me). The reasoning for this is that i can't face losing them to the Hawthorns. I can make them but they take an age and parting from them is not sweet sorrow, Whereas a 5 min F fly is shrug and a smile at my stupidity, and on with another fly.

For years at the butt end of an evening session, as the gloom envelopes me, and my final choice is made to squint out the last rays of hope........ I always end with a R Wulff.
Apart from the problem of barbed hooks ( squashed down.... honest Gov!) on a barbless fishery, the match the hatch baby is thrown out with the bath water. but session after session and year after year, I persist with this odd mistress.

The other night as my 50yr old eyes triumphed in the near dark to thread on yet another R Wulff and I finally questioned the logic of the choice and realised that it was because everything else in my box, (that would probably be more appropriate to the sedges around me) was tied with my hook of choice, a Partridge SUD or SLD.  But as the hooks are black its impossible to see the eye of the fly, and so choice is driven by what easy to see rather than whats crawling down my collar.
So to cure my addiction to these inappropriate patterns I realised i need to get some Silver coloured barbless hooks to tie my own twilight sedges.
What barbless hooks though are silver? And who sells them?

whinging pom

Many thanks for the effort... It looks like the fly tying boutique then.

Go To Front Page