News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Split cane rods

Started by Craigie17, July 17, 2014, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigie17

I have recently inherited 3 of my Grandfather's split cane rods. He used to fish predominantly loch style, and represented Scotland back in the dim and distant past fishing on Loch Leven. I fished with him a bit as a nipper, and even then realised he was a really good fisherman, so it's nice to have a few of his rods to remember him by. I'm keen to use them rather than just stick them in a cupboard, but a couple are monster 12ft+ numbers (including a Hardy), which although lovely to see and wonderfully put together, I think would require a couple of months in the gym before any casting was attempted. Is anyone familiar with these sort of rods? They don't look like double handers, but I wonder if perhaps they are sea trout rods, as I know he used to fish the Endrick and Loch Lomond for sea trout and salmon.

The other is a nine foot trout rod, devoid of any markings to give a clue as to its provenance, but which seems to throw a WF5 quite nicely, allbeit I need to adjust my casting drastically to compensate for the much slower action. I took it out on my local river last Friday and caught a couple of fish on it - probably the first fish it has connected with in 20 years anyway - and a nice, if sentimental way to remember my Grandfather as he once was.

It did get me thinking about split cane or bamboo in general. Does anyone on here fish with rods like these at all? If you do, what sort of set up do you use? I know there is a fair following in America, but don't hear much of it over here. 

A quick Google identified for me that a new cane rod from Hardy or Orvis would be about the same as a solid deposit on a new car, but it seems that watching ebay might pay dividends occasionally if you know what you're looking for? Are there other less well known makers out there with a less hair-raising price tag? The money seems to be directed at the lightweight, shorter end of the spectrum.

Just interested to know other people's views. I know a couple of friends who have used cane rods and consider them inferior to today's rods (which I'm in no position to dispute), but I can see some attraction in the craftmanship of a cane rod, perhaps much like paddling a birch bark canoe or using a hand made knife.

Wildfisher

I bought a Zhu split cane rd from China a few years back a lovely thing, but I seldom use it.  Great if there  is no wind, but hopeless if you have to cast into even a slight breeze.

Robbie

I also have one of the Zhu rods, 6ft 3wt. Great fun on a small stream and makes the most of the bandies I catch in the Luther. As Fred says a nightmare in any kind of breeze, but a good laugh in the right conditions.

I believe the higher end modern rods have faster actions and may be more versatile. To be honest I am tempted to by a comparative graphite rod for comparison.

superscot

Quoteor wear a waxed Barbour these days?

Many people still do ! As for split cane i have somewhere in the rafters of the garage a lovely 18 foot split cane salmon rod ...maker unknown, It must have been a good shift put in while wielding that about all day.

I just had a quick Google on split cane rods, and found there must still be a huge market on them as lots of company's still selling be at a price that would totally shock you.       

Billy

I used to have a split cane when I was a lot younger and sold it to my apprentice for £3.

It was a 'trossachs' built rod and a nice piece of kit but you were generally knackered after a day swishing it about.

I prefer lightweight nowadays.

Billy

Wildfisher

There is a lot of romanticism / nonsense  around split cane and glass fibre rods. Truth is most of them were rubbish and still are compered to even the cheapest modern carbon rods.    The prices now being asked for new build glass fibre rods in particular is a nonsense. The are not worth it. Promoted and supplied by people who clearly seldom if ever go fishing. Don't waste your money.

haresear

I had a 9' 6" Sharpes Scotty at one time, but found it too heavy and tiring to use. Admittedly, I was about 14 at the time and a poor caster, so that may have conributed to the wrist pain I went through before ditching the rod in favour of fibreglass.

A few years ago I bid for and won a Partridge 7' cane rod rated #4/5, which I use occasionally. I like it, and with it being short it doesn't exert too much leverage on the wrist.

I don't find it too slow in action and I can get quite a tight loop with it, but when looking for a tight loop it is very easy to overdo it and get a tailing loop instead. It doesn't like being hit hard.

I have yet to catch anything of note on the cane rod, so can't really comment on the fish-playing action.

I had an old 12' Hardy single hand greenheart once. I wouldn't care to arm wrestle with the previous owner... :shock:

Short is best for cane rods as far as I am concerned.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Sandison

I have used split cane rods all my life, for trout salmon and sea-trout, and guess that I will continue to do so; probably out of habit, but, truthfully, because I prefer their action. Have a 1896 14ft Hardy rod, with steel centre. Used it on the  Thurso last year and it was just about right, boss, for me.
Bruce Sandison

Craigie17

Interesting to hear guys. I saw Zhu rods advertised on ebay a couple of years ago, and they seem to generally get a reasonable write up. Appears they are no longer in business now, or at least not selling through ebay.

Alex, the rod I was using a few weeks ago seemed to play fish quite nicely, but they weren't of any great size - 3/4lb at best - would be interested to try it on something more substantial. I had to change my casting style quite drastically to tighten up my loops, and slow everything down, but I did end up throwing nice (for me) casts in the end.

Bruce, what cane rod do you fish for trout with? One armed pull-ups to practice in the winter?!

Quote from: admin on July 18, 2014, 09:07:43 AM
There is a lot of romanticism / nonsense  around split cane and glass fibre rods. [...] Don't waste your money.

Agree to some extent Fred, and I definitely wouldn't buy one for regular fishing, but given I have been given one which is pretty fishable, I may invest in a wee reel for it and take it out occasionally like other seem to.

Highlander

I still own one but never use it now A Ritz Parabolic. Think Fred is being a bit unkind with his remarks whilst split cane has seen it's day as far as normal anglers go in small sizes & by a reputable maker that knows what he is doing they can be a joy to behold. Problem is they are just too darn expensive to buy. There is a school of thought in North America that still fishes split cane or bamboo (boo) as they call it. There rods are quite the most delicate of makes & do cast well. The longer rods of yester year in cane are a nightmare to cast "all day" I sometime wonder how we did it all those years ago. Maybe we were just made of sterner stuff then  :roll:
One I have had are Sharpes Scottie, Hardy Esk & the Ritz. No I can not go back to them but every now & a again I have an inkling to cast one.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page