News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What socks?

Started by scoobyscott, January 19, 2015, 08:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Being the desperado I am, I've been out fishing when the chance arises. The problem apart from the unpredictable weather is my toes. The last few times out my toes have been killing me. I'm wearing breathable waders with a pair of woolen socks, normal sports socks and a cheap pair of thermal socks. So what do you guys wear to keep the totes cosy?

Mark

I recently bought these type http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Heat-Holder-Socks-Size/dp/B003594HDE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421700842&sr=8-7&keywords=thermal+socks

Very fluffy kind of material inside, dont know how many wears I will get out of them until they loose that spongy new feel but they were good. I was in the water for over 3 hours, with the river edges frozen ice but they done a good job. Tried woollen socks with another pair underneath the previous time I was out and they were useless.

Darwin

The boots must be large enough to allow wiggle room for your toes!!  I like the heatholders also, but I usually wear liner socks that are meant for waders and Mereno wool socks.  Never cotton or anything that absorbs moisture.  Feet need to "breath" and wiggle.

corsican dave

yep, make sure your boots aren't too tight with extra socks. out canoeing on sunday with air temp a balmy minus 3, I was wearing neoprene socked breathable waders, 1 pair of merino walking/climbing socks and my wading boots. no problems at all. when i'm sea kayaking (on the sit-on -top) I wear a pair of liner socks (also merino wool) in addition, but the drysuit socks are thinner than my waders.

ditch the sports socks (presumably cotton?) and your combo might actually work better!

another good tip would be to ensure your legs are kept warm too. I had a pair of long-johns and some powerstretch pants on under the waders. when i'm in the drysuit I wear a pair of insulated "belay" pants as well. primaloft (a synthetic down substitute)material is ideal, but there are others out there. I would only do this if you're going to be spending hours in one spot. you'll be way too warm otherwise!  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Otter Spotter

They have a cold weather clothing sale on @ www.outdoorgb.com

Some sealskinz in there.

I use Smart / Merino wool the brands I have used all seem much of a muchness, main issue is price! The last pair I bought were £20, they are good but at £20 I would expect a lifetime of use, however they seem to last about a season!

I think the point about having enough room to wiggle your toes is critical.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

corsican dave

Quote from: Otter Spotter on January 20, 2015, 01:31:16 PM
I use Smart / Merino wool the brands I have used all seem much of a muchness, main issue is price! The last pair I bought were £20, they are good but at £20 I would expect a lifetime of use, however they seem to last about a season!
yep, unfortunately the merino socks of all brands are much more delicate than the 'normal' wools.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

ColinM

scoobyscott

Thanks guys, think I'll pick up a pair of Heat holders and see if there any better. I have a feeling Darwin may have hit the nail on the head though regarding room for my toes to move. There new waders and I've only had this problem since wearing these although the temp has dropped at the same time.

Go To Front Page