News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Help ! Indentify

Started by Clan Chief, June 23, 2008, 11:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Yesterday evening I came across something I have never seen before at Hillend. Im sure someone on here will be able to identify this creature. The pics are crap as I didn't have my camera with me so I had to use my phone camera. Is it some kind of moth ? it looks a bit sedgey It had black wings and a bright orange body though. Excuse my ignorance.
Post the pics shortly

smackinnon

if I'm not mistaken its the very rare "orange bodied sedgey moth" :lol:
only dead fish go with the flow.

Gander

Clan Chief,
              I would get that properly identified. You may have found a Scottish unicorn.  :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7430816.stm

rabbitangler

bottom picture looks like a clan cheif to me

sandyborthwick

Aye Clan Chief,

that one could have all the boys crawling the hills with wee nets. You might be famous as the highland moth man :lol:.

Seriously it certainly looks like the Holy Grail of moths should get it checked out.

Sandy B.O.   

Clan Chief

This had an orange body and definitely jet black wings

Clan Chief

I Contacted the butterfly conservation body but unfortunately it is not the mythical moth but one which looks similar called Red necked footman Here is the reply I received

Many thanks for the photos ? unfortunately this is not the mythical moth Ethmyia pyrausta but a very similar moth, (though in a very different family) Red-necked Footman.  For a photo to double check visit http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3528  the caterpillars feed on lichens. 

The Red necked footman is a species that is doing very well in Scotland and is rapidly spreading north ? so although not as exciting as ethmyia pyrausta it is still a good sighting as it helps us track its northerly spread.  I?ll pass your record on to the relevant local moth recorder.

Go To Front Page