News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

legs on hoppers

Started by garryh, July 03, 2008, 02:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

i was wondering whether to try tying hoppers again.the last time i couldnt be arsed tying the legs and trying to get them tied in line.so ever since when my boat partner started catching on hoppers i would just put on an emerger type fly and i cant say i ever felt at a disadvantage.obviously heather flies and daddies which actually have legs are a different matter (i buy these).how vital do other guys on the forum think the legs are,and if (its still a big if )i did start tying them what position do you favour tying them in ,sitting above or below the body.i look forward to reading your views on this.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

The general consensus seems to be that the legs on hoppers and daddies are a trigger. I would use them - it's  about confidence in what you are doing. I tend to buy my hoppers coz I can't be bothered with this knotted pheasant tail malarkey!  :D

Clan Ford

I buy pre knotted pheasant tails (from ebay) - last feather cost 99p plus ?1 p&p - well worth the money when you consider the effort.

Norm

scotfly

IMO the legs are the/a huge trigger point on hoppers. I always tie my legs under or in line with the body, I hate to see them on top which I think is wrong.
All of you who hate knotting the legs, I find it therapeutic, just tie in ordinary pheasant tail fibres and when the fly is tied simply scrunch the legs with your fingers, works as good a knotted legs.

scotfly

Quote from: wee bri on July 03, 2008, 08:39:32 PM
I also like fishing raiders......which is the same fly without the legs.

I could be wrong (usually am  :?) but I think the raider is more like a hopper without the hackle. Slim body, ribbed with pearl. Legs at the thorax and a thickly dubbed thorax/head.

scotfly

Quote from: wee bri on July 03, 2008, 11:14:04 PM
Not in this case Dennis. :oops:

Erm, actually yes in this case  :roll: :lol:

I knew I had an article on it some where  and have found it. It was invented by Ian Ruff.
In his article he gives the dressing as......

HOOK - Partridge Capt Hamilton L2A, 8-16
THORAX - Teased Orangey Brown Seals Fur
BODY - Green Herl, Contrasting Silk Ribbing
SHUCK - A slip of white goose shoulder herl, 3 strands tied in immediately behind the thorax so that it lies over the body and extends a further body length beyond the bend of the hook.

garryh

thanks everyone for your opinions and advice,most helpfull.i bought some pre-knotted legs at the game fair today so i will be starting tying soon.i think i favour the legs level or slightly above but will tie a few below and experiment.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

scotfly

Quote from: wee bri on July 05, 2008, 12:37:07 AM
Are they the Ian Ruffs dressings for raiders?

Yes Bri, Ian Ruff invented the Raider. Good fly too.

Runarsson

It's a new time. Hopper legs are out... now WHEELS are the way to do it:

'HARLEY HOPPER'... or 'CHOPPER'

/Nick

Go To Front Page