News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Simms or Korkers?

Started by fishindaft, February 03, 2010, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishindaft

I am needing new boots for the coming season and have got it down to either the Korkers Cross Current with the interchangeable soles or the Simms Guide ones with Aquastealth sole. Was going to get the Redington CPX ones but sportfish dont have them in my size (only discovered after order was placed).  I am inclined to go with the Korkers going buy what i read on another thread but have no seen mention of these particular Simms ones.

Any advice from anybody?

haresear

I can recommend the Simms Guide boots. I bought the tungsten studded Aquastealth jobs. My pair have seen some very hard use and the soles are still attached and going strong. They are pretty heavy though and Korkers are very light.

I also have a pair of older Korkers. They have not been heavily used, so I don'yt know how durable they are. My pal Harelug had the soles fall off his a few times and had to carry out repairs. This may be a problem with the older models, as I have heard of similar tales. I don't know about the Cross Current model, I'm afraid.

Alex
Protect the edge.

fishindaft

Thanks Alex, kind of thought from the pics of them that the simms ones looked heavier, totally undecided though, was planning on doing more walking this year rather than roadside lochs so still swinging towards the korkers.

John

haresear

Quote from: fishindaft on February 03, 2010, 11:27:10 PM
Thanks Alex, kind of thought from the pics of them that the simms ones looked heavier, totally undecided though, was planning on doing more walking this year rather than roadside lochs so still swinging towards the korkers.

John
Protect the edge.

fishindaft

Sporfish gave me an extra 20% off cause my the redington boots i ordered where out of stock so Korkers ordered this morning.

Malcolm

I've had a pair of Simms Guide boots for many years now and still going strong, however over the past year all the eyelets have fallen out and I don't know how long I'll get out of them with the laces in contact with the leather. I don't use them much now as I prefer studded Jalas orienteering shoes which are much better for walking and on the banks and just as good for the wading I do.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

River Chatter

Quote from: Malcolm on February 04, 2010, 02:23:35 PM
... I prefer studded Jalas orienteering shoes which are much better for walking and on the banks and just as good for the wading I do.

Do you wear them over neoprene stocking foot waders Malcolm... or do you wet-wade?

Guddler

The soles of these look brilliant!

http://www.vavrys.cz/oe/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=81&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&lang=cs

I've rarely slipped whilst wading in a loch but have come a cropper a few times getting there on studded felt soles.

Malcolm

Quote from: River Chatter on February 04, 2010, 02:43:12 PM
Do you wear them over neoprene stocking foot waders Malcolm... or do you wet-wade?

RC
Over stockingfoot. One thing is I bought a pair of cheap short gaiters to keep the wee stones out. I bought 1.5 sizes larger than normal. I'm seriously thinking of getting another pair for hillwalking and hill loch fishing as my Walsh PBs are on their last legs.

Guddler,

The bad bankside performance and weight of studded felt boots are the reason I bought the Jalas. In really bad wading conditions though part studded felt is hard to beat. As a rule if I know the water I'll use the Jalas, if I don't I'll wear the Simms.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

corsican dave

i checked out the simms and the korkers last year. my brief was to find a pair of boots i could trust to hill-walk a fair old distance and still fish.

it took me no time at all to realise the korkers were going to let me down on the long distance stakes. those interchangeable soles are just asking to get bits of grit and heather trapped underneath them... i was in mortimers at grantown and both myself and grant mortimer were rather surprised at the gap that resulted from a moderate flexing of the korkers  :shock:

i bought the simms. they're quite heavy, but you know they're going to be there at the end of the day. i've also found the weight and rigidity to be very reassuring in fast flowing water.

i see you've already ordered your korkers. i'll be interested to hear how they work in the back-country. let us know!!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page