News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

snowbee diamond 10 ft 5 #

Started by garryh, July 19, 2010, 07:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

i was wondering if anyone had any experience of this rod or even of other rods in the diamond range.i have been looking for a rod of this length/weight for some time now.my main concern is many of the rods of this type have in brackets after them(Czech nymph).as i understand the method it does not involve casting much line .as i am looking for a loch rod for dries i need a rod that could cast a reasonable distance.do these rods have that ability.any thoughts or info will be most welcome.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Clan Ford

I've got the 3/4, find it a tad stiff for my usual river work but I reckon it would be ideal for the lochs.  No idea if the 5 weight compares in action or not.

Norm 

garryh

thanks for your thoughts guys.Bri that is the deal i was looking at but if as you say it was marked six i will have to go through and have a look/try before i commit.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Malcolm

Quote from: Ardbeg on July 20, 2010, 07:36:01 PM
My 3/4# is definitely a 4# Garry.  Never liked the double rating of a rod (or even 3 weights :shock:), surely it is one or the other.

Ardbeg

It's just some guy's opinion. Different ratings for different people. Some of the rods I've used at the casting club I like 2 line weights heavier than is marked on the rod. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Malcolm

It's a right old pig's ear. Steve Parton rates Shakespeare rods for the 50 year old guy with the arthritic shoulder who gets out 10 times a year. Some others are rated so that they can aerialise 70 ft of the chosen line weight without the rod giving up the ghost

A lot of rods are rated against the CCS here http://www.sexyloops.com/eric/database/rodtablesorted.php
You can see 5 weight rods for example rated from under #4 to greater than #9! The Sage TCR and Sage TCX are rated and more than 7.

Here's my highly cynical take on the matter: If you want a market a "smooth" 6 weight give it it's proper rating.

If you want a sharper rod use the same blank and put a #5 on the handle.

If you want a rod "for those special people who can handle a rod so crisp and precise that it can put a size 16 80 feet to the lunker, until now safely hidden under the arms of that ol' sycamore" use the same blank again and put a #4 on it!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page