News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Has innovation stalled in fly fishing?

Started by Malcolm, January 03, 2011, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteThe sandflies are a bloody nightmare! But you know that of course, looking forward to them? 

I can't think of an insect I'd prefer to be bitten by than a kiwi sandfly :)

Ardbeg, I never knew the Leeda LC had that design feature. It must be the only Leeda reel I never owned.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Quote from: wee bri on January 03, 2011, 11:58:59 PM
Bloke don't mention it anywhere on thier website Malcolm and from what I can see of the Airflo website they've called one of thier series of rods a 'nano' rod with no explanation of thier tecnology at all.
More probably a slick bit of spoiling marketing from Airflo......who are never shy in promoting thier generally crap fishing tackle.

For more on the Hardy rods...

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/sintrix.php

wee bri.....

Bri,

I heard about this at the Glasgow casting Club (a great place for inside info) last spring. I've googled it and there was a post on FFF back in May http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fish-fly-news/69487-hardy-greys-announce-breakthrough-rod-design.html

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

muddler9

Have to agree with Claret Bumble,  that 'innovations' in tackle are largely market-driven these days. The manufacturers, realising that we are even more gullible than the fish we try to catch, are constantly tempting us with 'new' and 'improved' products designed to catch anglers and empty their pockets.
The magazines play their part in this con. Flitcroft's editorial in this month's T&S ends with yet another shameless plug for the tackle industry who provide the mag with loads of advertising money.
I'm still using rods and reels that I bought over 20 years ago and they work just fine.
Must admit to buying a Greyflex Mk 2   5 years ago. It's a slightly better casting tool than my old Shakey radial carbon, but not much. Don't know why I bothered.   

Malcolm

Wee Brian,

I've noticed a couple of amazing reviews of this Hardy rod. Of course I read a couple of great reviews of the TCX a while back and I could hardly get it to bend past the first joint with less than 40 feet in the air!

Malcolm
To jaw like this

corsican dave

the greatest aid to innovation is an open mind, not tackle "development".

check out salt water fly fishing for example. i hate to say this, but the american scene is much more creative than our somewhat staid and proscribed approach. fly fishing for carp, anyone?

Quote from: Alan on January 07, 2011, 10:16:42 PM
but there has been massive innovation in the way we use information and learn, now we can access pretty much any information we fancy and discuss it with likeminded people and direct for ourselves how we learn, the biggest innovations are ..

forums, google, websites, casting clubs :8), higher modulus carbon(which is all that lighter and faster is)

i reckon thats a fair bit and they are way more valuable than they are visible.

you're spot on there, alan (although i may take issue with you on the carbon front.. :lol:)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Clan Ford

Quote from: corsican dave on January 16, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

check out salt water fly fishing for example. i hate to say this, but the american scene is much more creative than our somewhat staid and proscribed approach. fly fishing for carp, anyone?

Your correct Dave, but our rivers and lochs are not exactly hoaching with coarse fish, certainly above the central belt.  SWFF is certainly an option round Scotland though.

This year I have a couple of non game fish forays in mind:-

A dace from the Forth

A mullet from the sea

I suspect the main innovation I'll be using is in the fly tying materials.

Norm

Malcolm

Quote from: Clan Ford on January 16, 2011, 11:22:29 PM

A mullet from the sea

Norm
We have thousands at the mouth of the Leven - the most prolific I've ever seen. Weird fish though - whenever I go out for them they're conspicuous by their absence then the next day they're back.
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page