News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What pocket Binos

Started by desmondo, November 14, 2013, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmondo

Not quite sure which forum this belongs to but here goes on this one.
When I'm out fishing I like to have a pair of lightweight binos with me just in case I want to scout out the river or passing wildlife. My Nikon sports binos have finally got bashed up enough that it is time for replacement. These were a good pocket sized pair and had good optics. I might just go for same again but would be interested in any thoughts/preferences you guys have. Unlike the wife I can change bino models without too much aggro. Without spending a fortune any suggestions welcome.
Des

alancrob

My wife got me  Hawke 10x25 Endurance bino's a couple of years ago. They are not the best but they have survived a lot of abuse and they are waterproof. Not too light but better than the old ones my dad left me!

Good for fishing and for boats.

A.

alancrob

Just had a quick look at these online. Ooops! Did not realise she had spent that much. £100+!

A.

Part-time

http://www.mybinoculars.co.uk/bushnell-h2o-10x25.html?source=googleps&gclid=CO2xkPWv5boCFa-WtAodqW4Aag

I have a pair of these  in 8x42 that I keep in the car all the time and have found them very good; waterproof & nitrogen filled is pretty good for under £50. The 10x25 might be a better size for what you're looking for. 

desmondo

Thanks not familiar with them I will have a look on internet later, ta,

Buanán

Worth considering 2nd hand, I was looking for a set of bins over the summer and looked at lots of 2nd hand sets, I found several sets of Leica 8 x 25 2nd hand for around the £100 mark. These were too small for me as I'm on the look out for multiple game keepers something with a larger field of view.

In the end I plumped for a pricy set of Minox HG 8 x 43 which I managed to pick up by ordering via holland for €660 (as opposed to £680 lowest I found in the UK). Not what your after but during the search I did look through these and was mightily impressed, for around the £100 mark both glass and spec are hard to beat without going 2nd hand and spending a little more;

http://www.telescopesandbinoculars.co.uk/acatalog/Minox-Compact-BV-Waterproof-654.html

I decided to go for the HG 8 x 43 and whilst they aren't really a pocket set, they do fit in my jacket pocket and are actually more in line with what I was after. If I were going for a little set I would have bought the wee Minox compacts, waterproof is whats need if out and about fishing and the quality of the glass was really impressive, with bins though, I think one has to look through them before one buys. 

Bobfly

Just a few years back I bought a pair of Pentax DCF LV 9x28 and a 5.6degrees f.o.v.. Superb in use. Very bright and clear and depth of focus. Waterproof, snow proof, fog proof and nitrogen filled with phase coated BAC4 glass. Highly rated 4 years back as the best of what now is called "mid-compact" in size.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

desmondo

Thanks for the tips, as always the site has given me a few things to consider that I would not have done so previously. I appreciate that testing is always best and if so I will do so but at this level I am prepared to take a chance. Thanks to you all. Des

desmondo

Finally I got around to buying a new compact pair. Opted for the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x42 and delighted with them. Small lightweight and superb optics for what I need. So easy to carry around, the bigger ones will be left in the car now.

Go To Front Page