News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cheap Supplies

Started by piscatus absentis, June 14, 2006, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

I had a day off fishing today and went to our capital city courtesy of my 'bus pass from the blessed Jack.  At one stage I saw a wool shop with a closing down sale and hopped of for a look.  See pic.

The lassie asked if ?10 was alright and I said ?5 would be better.  We settled for ?7.50 and she chucked in some odds and ends of wool.

Tapestry threads and wool are ideal and simpler than dubbing for bodies.  The gold and claret metallics are on 55 metre spools and have three strands.  The fine silver metallic has a lovely glint but I don't know what to do with the broad stuff.  The peacock herl was part of a display.

Does anyone else using wool and threads instead of dubbing?

bibio1

Try to find wool  in any of the fly tying mags. They don't stock it. I use wool for all my dubbing. cut a short hank of and mix the colours. Olive and yellow are good. The permutationa are endless. At hillend I use black and claret.

paul

Robbie

I have found it surprising what you can find in craft shops. I have managed to find some very fine holographic tinsels and flexi floss at very good prices.

Robbie

Pearly Invicta

I've a mate who makes sporrans. He gives me a huge bag at a time full of fur off-cuts. Everything from antelope to arctic fox and even leopard and otter (victorian, not fresh!).

Go To Front Page