News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lightweight boating

Started by arawa, February 19, 2018, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

Quote from: Part-time on February 21, 2018, 08:43:07 PM
The packraft does look pretty good and sounds ideal for what you have in mind. I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you try fishing from it. If it's comfy enough to sit in for a while it could be good in a flat calm - wait for the rising trout to come to you kind of thing.

I have thought about carrying my float tube to some remoter lochs but it's the bulk rather than the weight that puts me off - I've not weighed it but I'm pretty sure the shaky tube I have is less than 10lbs and the fins 3 or 4 lbs max. Wouldn't want to carry it any distance inflated though and (deflated with the fins) needs a good size backpack to fit in.

I now have a problem though - I had to google "lightweight float tube" and found these for sale in the US :): http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/backpacker-pro.html
I'm very tempted :)

I had looked at these (found them on backpackinglight) and similar models and was also very tempted. Then I stopped at Angling Active and studied the bulk and weight of decent waders (the water is cold in early season!) and fins. Even with the light and small float tube the total started looking untenable for my particular circumstances.  But there are good reviews and comments about these tubes on US forums.

Part-time

Quote from: arawa on February 21, 2018, 09:25:10 PM
I had looked at these (found them on backpackinglight) and similar models and was also very tempted. Then I stopped at Angling Active and studied the bulk and weight of decent waders (the water is cold in early season!) and fins. Even with the light and small float tube the total started looking untenable for my particular circumstances.  But there are good reviews and comments about these tubes on US forums.

That's interesting that you had a look at the lightweight tube, but I can see that for the circumstances you have in mind that taking waders/fins would undo the benefits of the extra light tube. Your post has led me astray though :) - the light tube seems ideal for some of the lochs I have in mind. I'd have to live with the weight/bulk of the fins but would not be thinking about early season so breathable chest waders would be fine for me. Look forward to hearing how your maiden voyage goes.

Quote from: corsican dave on February 21, 2018, 09:24:23 PM
there you go John: a packraft alongside some everyday objects & weighed. 751g = 1lb 10oz
That's about the size of my fly box Dave :)

corsican dave

Quote from: Part-time on February 21, 2018, 10:51:50 PM
That's about the size of my fly box Dave :)
ah;i see you've been tying pike flies, then....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

arawa

Now, if after all this debate to and fro anyone wants to try packrafting for themselves, here is a current offer at Go Outdoors  :D

[attachimg=1]

But please note that this boat is only suitable for one adult so if you need a ghille .... :D :D

(Actually, this is near identical to the "boat" I am using in the first post.)

Bobfly

I remember reading of three drunk teenagers a mile or two offshore from Montrose in just that very thing ...........  :D :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

wlllc

Thought these details on examples of light weight float tubing gear might be of interest.  4 friends and I covered 43 miles over 9 days with this gear--plus food, clothing, & shelter-- to fish 7 high mountain wilderness lakes between 8,000-9,500 feet using ultralight float tubes.  Fishing was spectacular!Large rainbow the cutthroat trout.

LIFE PRESERVER

One alternative is the Cabelas lightweight foam life preserver with 3 nylon straps and side opening plastic buckles that weighs just 15.0 ozs.  This life preserver is adjustable and comfortable.  It can double as a sleeping pad or seat cushion in camp, and is very reasonably priced.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Adult-Flotation-Vest/733800.uts?productVariantId=2064043&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42- 110108056-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=90250535&rid=20

FINS/FLIPPERS

Fins are essential for float tubing.  They keep you exactly where you want to be on the water for optimal fishing with hands free for casting, mending line, and landing fish. We recommend the Creek Company lightweight fins.  They are imported, so the quality can vary, but they are adequate propulsion, reasonably priced, and by far the lightest available at 19.1 oz.  We have over a decade of experience with these flippers.
http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16137

WADERS

Waders are optional, but highly recommended for the cool trout waters of mountain lakes if that is your destination with your ultralight float tube.  When wearing waders in cool lakes, a breathable wader is essential to avoid excessive condensation inside the waders.  Backpacking requires the lighter weight stocking foot waders.  Boot foot waders are too heavy to carry any distance. The lightest breathable stocking foot waders we have identified are the Patagonia Middle Fork Packable waders which weigh just 26.1 ozs, but are premium priced at $349.  These are a new product, so we have yet to test them on a wilderness trip.
http://www.patagonia.com/product/middle-fork-packable-waders-regular/82330.html
Lightweight alternatives that are heavier than the Patagonias by a few ozs but less expensive are the Redington Crosswater breathable waders (33.6 oz) at $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Redington-Crosswater-Fishing-Wader-Large/dp/B004MO6WZM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1497710555&sr=1-2&keywords=redington%2Bwaders&th=1&psc=1

FOOTWEAR

We recommend water shoes worn over stocking foot waders to protect your waders and your feet.  We have tried neoprene gravel guards as the only protection over waders, but we prefer a bit harder sole as a cushion on lake side rocks.  Water shoes also are great to wear around camp and provide a comfortable break from boots after the hike into the wilderness.  The Speedo Surfwalker Pro 2.0 is one option for wader shoes that weigh just 7 oz. Remember to purchase a size large enough to fit over your stocking foot waders.
http://www.zappos.com/p/speedo-surfwalker-pro-3-0-speedo-black/product/8643815/color/601818

DOUBLE ACTION INFLATION PUMP

For full, firm inflation of the float tube we highly recommend a lightweight double action inflation pump.  It weighs just 3.6 ozs, and will enable rapid, full inflation to provide optimal ultralight float tube performance.

GEAR WEIGHT SUMMARY
Life Preserver       15.0 ozs

Flippers                19.1 ozs

Waders                 33.6 ozs

Water shoes          7 ozs 

Inflation pump       3.6 ozs

TOTAL                 78.3 ozs (4 lbs 14.3 ozs)

arawa

Thank you willc for this very informative post. And it certainly puts into perspective what I see as a hard day out with a 10 mile round trip hike and 1000 ft climb!
With my Alpacka and its pillowcase "pump", paddle, and iFloat buoyancy aid and 28L rucksack my gear comes in just under 10lb. If I was younger I think I would have gone the float tube route especially when getting the kit weight down to what you have achieved.
There is much more lightweight kit, and kit generally, available in the US as the market is so small here.
Thanks again for posting, and hope you have a good fishing season.

Ps. I was hugely impressed with the small pack size and light weight of the Baltic iFloat buoyancy aid and I had not seen anything like it before. A demonstration video of it in use is here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jxeGl_ZdO4

wlllc

Great example of a lightweight life jacket, thanks Arawa. 
I've done a bit of exploration and can share what I've found.  I believe the lightest, most compact life jackets available are what could be called airline style--the small inflatables found under seats on commercial airliners, because they have to fit under a seat.  Your video post looks very similar to these. 
If you Google Switlik Parachute company--or follow the link-- you'll see these are available for purchase in the US.  http://www.switlik.com/aviation/airlines/singlecell

I just bought one a few weeks ago, but have yet to use it in my float tube:
Here is what I found:
TOTAL WEIGHT 13.9 OZ INCLUDING CO2 CARTRIDGE AND EMERGENCY LIGHT WITH BATTERY
CO2 CARTRIDGE SIMPLY UNSCREWS TO EASILY REMOVE, AND LIGHT AND BATTERY ALSO EASY TO REMOVE FROM NYLON DOUGHNUT
WEIGHT WITHOUT CO2 CARTRIDGE, LIGHT AND BATTERY = 7.2 OZ (about half the weight of the life jacket I use now)
WITH CO2 CARTRIDGE, LIGHT AND BATTERY REMOVED IT PACKS VERY SMALL--OBVIOUSLY MUCH SMALLER THAN FOAM LIFE JACKETS
REASONABLY COMFORTABLE TO WEAR WHEN NOT INFLATED, ESPECIALLY WITH COLLARED CLOTHING SO NYLON NOT DIRECTLY AGAINST NECK;
INFLATES IN 6 BREATHS THROUGH INFLATION TUBE WITH ONE WAY INFLATION VALVE, AND INFLATION TUBE IS LONG ENOUGH TO ENABLE INFLATION WHILE WEARING--NEED to test this, but can't wait until our lakes are thawed to assess feasibility of wearing this uninflated or partially inflated in my float tube to see how quickly I can get it to full inflation using only the inflation tube and my lungs rather than the heavy CO2 cartridge
WAIST BELT EASY TO CLOSE WITH PLASTIC SIDE OPENING BUCKLE, AND COMFORTABLE TO WEAR

I do not know if Switlik ships to the UK, or if they have a distributor in Europe.  Shipping was quite expensive even in the US, presumably because of the CO2 cartridge.
Apparently some skilled thieves steal these while traveling on airlines--my understanding is the airlines have learned these compact life jackets are wanted for use by water sports enthusiasts and appropriately prosecute--aggressively--those who attempt this illegal act.

Bobfly

I have three float tubes and they all have four separate air bladders. The smallest  bladder has a similar volume to an inflated life vest so I stopped using a lifevest more than ten years ago. I do still wear one in a  boat.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page