News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cycling

Started by Moray, August 02, 2010, 09:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moray

I know it's a fishing forum.....
but it was on the way up to Callater at the weekend that got me thinking about this... trailers for cycles :shock:.

I was really struggling on the steeper sections to control my bike properly. It is a Gary Fisher with quite a short back end to get the wheel as close into the seat tube as possible, helping climbing, along with various other design blah, blah. But with the panniers well weighted it was making the front far to light to control properly on the way up.
So has anyone on the forum tried a trailer on the back of your bike? And if so would you be willing to share your experiences.
The ones I've been looking at on the web are single wheel trailers making passage up single track possible. I was looking at the BOB YAK which weighs in at 13.5 lb/6.1 kg (or IBEX if you want to add suspension and yet more weight - 17 lb/7.7 kg).

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

And the Extrawheel voyager which is much lighter at at 3.9kg and with the wheel being the same size as bike means you don't need to carry a different size inner tube.

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

River Chatter

Why not just spread the load over the front wheels too? I've actually been looking for a new bike recently (the last one I baought was back in the '80s :shock:) and have been surprised by the design improvements, especially the lightweight front suspension.  Overall weight doesn't seem to have improved tho, unless you've a spare grand to blow.  I don't think I'd consider a trailer as it seems a bit unwieldy and awkward for steep inclines on rough tracks.  Be interested to hear how you get on with it. 

Go To Front Page