News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Waist waders - opinions

Started by jasper, August 18, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasper

Already have a pair of neoprene chesties for the Winter & tubing and as most of my Summer fishing is done in slightly shallower water was thinking of going for something like these:-

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackleshopcouk.../si3889865/cl1/

or...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=50073&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3934&feat=3934-tn&cat4=1109

which I'm told can be worn like a pair of trousers....now that would be handy if you could wear them while driving to the venue.

Anyone tried them or similar?

Guddler

I wear a pair of Scierra waist waders most of my fishing trips and have found them much more convenient. I wear them when driving or walking to lochs and they're no bother at all.
I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to wading in hill lochs on my own so they do me just fine. If I'm heading somewhere that does require deeper wading I stick on the chesties (or if it's early or late season and the weathers a bit grim, just for extra warmth/protection).

Allan Crawford

Waist waders can be very handy alternative to chest depending on what fishing you do, for river crossings, sitting in boats etc,

3 weight

Water collecting between the layers can be a pain in the arse with the scierra's but I just lift the bottom of the legs up when I get out of the water and it runs off instantly. A pair of braces would be handy for keeping them on my skinny waist but all in all I'm happy with them, they have taken a real beating over two seasons, including a lot of winter use when piking and have shown no signs of giving up the ghost yet.

jasper

Quote from: 3 weight on August 20, 2009, 01:13:49 AM
including a lot of winter use when piking and have shown no signs of giving up the ghost yet.

Do you find them warm enough for Winter use? Wondering when buying to go for an extra large size to accommodate long johns or maybe a thick lined Winter bib & brace underneath.

jasper

Quote from: Ardbeg on August 20, 2009, 01:26:22 AM
Jasper, why not get a pair of breathable chesties and roll them down?  I walk 30 minutes or more up to hill lochs wearing them like this.  Also gives more options if the water is higher.
I also often roll them down to the waste driving back from the river when it's late.
Ardbeg

That's not a bad idea. Don't think I'd try it with neoprenes but obviously with the lighter waders it'd be an option. Are they made to fold down this way or do you just improvise?

haresear

I have LL Bean waist waders Jasper and they were just fine when they they fitted me, which they now don't :(

On the other hand, rolling down chesties is just fine and means you still have the deep wading capability if needed.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page