News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Reel

Started by aweman, September 07, 2009, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweman

I am thinking of purchasing an new reel and am not sure if I should spend a lot of money on something that stores line.  I have been looking at reels from ?20.00 to ?200.00 lot of money so would like to make right decision befor parting with cash.
I am looking for something light and able to cope with line sizes 5/6.
Advice would be much appreciated.

haresear

Quote from: aweman on September 07, 2009, 09:13:27 PM
I am thinking of purchasing an new reel and am not sure if I should spend a lot of money on something that stores line.  I have been looking at reels from ?20.00 to ?200.00 lot of money so would like to make right decision befor parting with cash.
I am looking for something light and able to cope with line sizes 5/6.
Advice would be much appreciated.

These are very good quality reels http://www.wickfordangling.co.uk/fly/ultegra_fly_reels.htm. I think Col uses one and my pal Harelug does too. I use Lamson LS2s which are very light but they are also expensive.

Alex
Protect the edge.

aweman

Thanks Col will check it out.

rabbitangler

Try the Vision Koma reels - good price & a free spare spool.

scotty9

Sonik Sk4 is a pretty impressive reel, you've seen it.... the one i have. Will have it on thursday, have a look then. Great drag and not too expensive.

There's a new lightened version coming out next month, only 100g!  :shock: Looks the biz and does the job well!

Clansman

I bought a Greys GRXi+ rel withn three spare cartridges for my #6 lines it is the best reel that I have owned and only ?60

A great reel for the money

windknot

might be daft
                   but to match a light rod to light reel would the ultegra wf 4-5 take a 6 wf with less backing if so its worth the gamble as only once in my life time has a fish took me too the backing okay my casting dissabilities are out i hook all my fish at my feet but any ideas on this ?

windknot

cheers col
              thanks for that i'm seriosly thinking of a new real i know aweman is as well this might be one for me

Malcolm

Aweman,

This is the best reasonably priced reel I have come across. It is the same reel as the Okuma Airframe which has a great reputation as a reliable saltwater reel. I bought one for a friend who was taking up flyfishing. He bought another for his son. I am just about to buy one for myself....

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/scierra-avalanche-fly-reels--free-spare-spool-127-p.asp
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Aweman, Windknot, something just occurred to me.

Make sure you get a reel that fits your reel seat.

I had to file down the reel foot on the Okuma Magnitude to get it to fit my rods.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page