News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

BFFI 2009

Started by Clan Chief, November 09, 2009, 01:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

I was in attendance today at the above event. I thought I would share my thoughts and pics. Thoughts and pics to follow as it has been a long day. In the mean time here is oor Hans at work............

Clan Chief

Made my first trip to this event on Sunday. I traveled down to my brothers house in Kendal on Saturday night. We departed Kendal about 7 30 and arrived in Stoke shortly after opening time. Bit of a que to get in. Tenner for the entry free. I was interested in the tying demos more than anything.
First I walked round all the trade stands. I bought a copy of Mike Hardings book. North Country Flies which he signed. Really nice bloke. I was keen to get O Edwards book too but will get that at a later date as money was flying oot ma wallet faster than May flies disappearing on Duffers fortnight.
Fly tyers row was good but you had to be pushy to get one to ones. I just watched over the shoulders of others. Really impressed by an Irish bloke Peter Dunne. I spent quite a bit of time in the "Flytying Focus section"
First guy I watched was Hans. He was absolutely brilliant. His flies are amazing. Got to examine them close up as they were passed round the assembled audience.
Next was an American tyer Marvin Nolte. He was very entertaining really enjoyed his patter. Liked his approach to tying which he referred to as Generic, he made them up as he went along.
I then went for another look at tyers row and then  tired to locate Scotfly at his forum's table  but couldn't find him as he was elsewhere at the event
Went back to In Focus and caught another American explaining all about foam flies. interesting
Next was a tyer called George Barron. Really liked his flies as his flies were in my favourite style.......Plamers, bumbles and dabblers.
Then Ollie Edwards. I was hoping he would give us a demo of hie realistic nymphs. but didnt. He tied what he called a nymph for fishing, nothing fancy but a fishing fly. Then a caddis pattern. I kinda think he was promoting the wing material for that particular flee.
I was a wee bit disapointed with Ollie.
All in all a thouroughly enjoyable day. Pity I didn't get to meet Scotfly,
On reflection I shouldn'y have been so shy in tyers row as a one to one with these great tyers would have been good.

scotfly

Heck! What a weekend that was.
Mrs Scotfly insisted on seeing everything I bought.  :crap She's not speaking to me now. (not that that's a bad thing)
It was great to meet clansman. Clan Chief, sorry we didn't get to meet, the urge to wander round the trade stalls was strong and frequent. Hopefully next year.

Go To Front Page