News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new loch rod wanted, any suggestions

Started by alba, April 26, 2010, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Tried the loop evotec yesterday, tried the 9' #5 and #6 in the fast model. I can only describe it as a rocket launcher  :D It will cast anything you want to, not in the realms of tcr stiff, way below that but not a "soft" rod. It bends relatively easily but recovers very quickly. Very nice spey/switch caster too. Ideal for loch stuff IMO. The X-grip handle is surprisingly good to, didn't expect to like it but it's an interesting concept and is surprisingly comfortable.

RRP around ?250 quid. One of the best rods I've tried in that price bracket to be honest.

Hope it helps someone but as always please don't buy before trying, I don't want held responsible for anyone's mistakes :lol:

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: scotty9 on April 26, 2010, 11:43:59 PM

You can make a rigid wooden stick cast a line :D

But would you need to change the way you cast to acheive this .

dazdidge

get yerself a 25 quid fladen mate, I just just bought a 9ft 5wt and after a couple of days with it, it beats the pants off any of the more expensive rods I have bought. I just had a day with it on a loch with a few of the other members and it casts better than anything I have used  at considerably less cost. Its definately more a 6 than a 5 but for thee price you cant beat it

darren

scotty9

Quote from: Burnfoot Loch on May 02, 2010, 10:45:07 PM

But would you need to change the way you cast to acheive this .

Alan has written what I would have done. Every situation requires a change to the casting stroke. Casting 20' requires a different stroke to casting 60'.

Different rods need different strokes but that's where the fun comes from, adapting. Learn to adapt and you're casting will improve exponentially. Once you can cast some tight razor loops with any action of rod - you'll have learned an awful lot!

The fladens are great for the money but I must admit I prefer the cheap shakespeare models. Better rods IMO. Same sort of price range, the shakeys maybe slightly more expensive. Got to say the fladens don't compare in the slightest to top end rods but it's really performance talk here. I know an angler who likes the sage tcr because he likes to lift a lot of line from the water and that rod certainly lets you do it, there's not that many that will.

Tried a Sage TCX #6 at the weekend, what fun casting that was had! Very nice rod, crazy price though and capable of landing whales :D

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: scotty9 on May 02, 2010, 11:51:13 PM
Different rods need different strokes but that's where the fun comes from, adapting. Learn to adapt and you're casting will improve exponentially. Once you can cast some tight razor loops with any action of rod - you'll have learned an awful lot!

Try the above with a 11 footer and a team of 3 or 4 wets driffting in the wind in a boat , then report back your findings . You will definetly learn a lot that day

Wildfisher

Quote from: Burnfoot Loch on May 16, 2010, 10:37:47 AM
Try the above with a 11 footer and a team of 3 or 4 wets driffting in the wind in a boat , then report back your findings . You will definetly learn a lot that day

That's a good very point Stevie. Different conditions  and situations require different approaches. Casting tight loops on grass with a bit of wool tied to the end of the leader is  one thing and is fun to do, but the same technique applied to 3 flies in a gale will certainly lead to tangled droppers and a lot of curses. Tight loops are not always appropriate, one size does not fit all. Old slow glass fibre or cane rods are a delight to use in a drifting boat: easy open loops, not at all tiring and few tangles.

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: admin on May 16, 2010, 10:51:06 AM
That's a good very point Stevie. Different conditions  and situations require different approaches. Casting tight loops on grass with a bit of wool tied to the end of the leader is  one thing and is fun to do, but the same technique applied to 3 flies in a gale will certainly lead to tangled droppers and a lot of curses. Tight loops are not always appropriate, one size does not fit all. Old slow glass fibre or cane rods are a delight to use in a drifting boat: easy open loops, not at all tiring and few tangles.

Spot on Boss , As scotty says diffrent rods need different actions , The tight loops will work on shorter rods and in close to medium casts , But the best fun to be had is big open casts team of wets from a drifting boat  :lol: Not long till Watten now 6 weeks and 5 days and 22 hours , Not that im counting  :D

haresear

QuoteAs scotty says diffrent rods need different actions , The tight loops will work on shorter rods and in close to medium casts

Tight loops can be achieved on long rods too and on longer casts. In fact tight loops are the way to longer casts, in conjunction with other factors.

I totally agree however that tight loops are not always what we want. As well as when fishing a team of flies, a tight loop isn't what is wanted with heavily weighted nymphs for example. It would be recipe for tangles. In that situation and when casting a clouser minnow or the like, especially on a light line, the loop needs to be opened up so that there is continuous tension and there is less of a bolas effect. In the latter two situations I rarely use a textbook overhead cast anyway, preferring the Belgian (oval) cast or a roll cast of some description for the nymphs.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Stevie - the other chaps have given good replies. I was indeed meaning it as a useful teaching and learning tool, of course open loops can be incredibly useful as you have pointed out! I was trying to offer a point in regard to learning rod control (casting geek stuff as usual  :lol:)

Hope Watten fishes well for you!

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: scotty9 on May 17, 2010, 10:36:20 PM
Stevie - the other chaps have given good replies. I was indeed meaning it as a useful teaching and learning tool, of course open loops can be incredibly useful as you have pointed out! I was trying to offer a point in regard to learning rod control (casting geek stuff as usual  :lol:)

Hope Watten fishes well for you!

Your advice was taken in the merit that it was offered Scotty , Thats the great thing about fishing we all have ideas about how we fish and where . Nearly every day can throw up a diffrent approach . No offence intended on my part .

P.S Well done on your recent coaching pass , The work you have put towards it in a short space of time is a credit to you .

BL

Go To Front Page