Author Topic: Grousenomics  (Read 12186 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
Re: Grousenomics
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »
christ knows why people fished for trout in the first place, pike is like eating mud with needles
Salmon too, the most culinary overrated fish that swims, even the the wild stuff is pretty dire.  Nice smoked, but then so are most things.  Give me a bit of haddock any day!  :D
The Forum Is Still Alive And Kicking

Offline Inchlaggan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
I have always been interested in what we Britons will or will not eat- horse anyone?
On safari in Kenya our Masai guide would tell us the common (English), latin and local names of each animal spotted. An antelope was identified as "kongoni" and I commented that I had tried that for dinner the previous night- delicious. The other couple in the Land Rover were horrified- how could I eat wildlife?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Offline zeolite

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Salmon too, the most culinary overrated fish that swims, even the the wild stuff is pretty dire.  Nice smoked, but then so are most things.  Give me a bit of haddock any day!  :D

I really don't know what goes on with your tastebuds Fred but fresh caught salmon is a delight! The fish I really don't care for is cod. That is the most overrated fish. Unless you give it a decent sauce it is very bland.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Offline bushy palmer

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
I have always been interested in what we Britons will or will not eat- horse anyone?
On safari in Kenya our Masai guide would tell us the common (English), latin and local names of each animal spotted. An antelope was identified as "kongoni" and I commented that I had tried that for dinner the previous night- delicious. The other couple in the Land Rover were horrified- how could I eat wildlife?

Fashion and Fad seems to come in to here. Many of the things once thought of as peasant dishes could now command ridiculous prices in a resturaunt.

I once did the "tourist-y" thing whilst on holiday and went on a guided tour of the ruins of an old city. When we reached what was aparently the "slums" area of the city our guide told us of how the people would have to "survive" by drinking claret and eating oysters- because they were poor :shock:

Brian

Offline daz

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
Oysters and other shellfish used to be considered food for the poor not so long ago, which is why they find middens full of their shells around the old slums of Edinburgh
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline Scotaidh

• dug
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Some interesting comments on "the other forum" regarding cormerents.

Unnatural abundance of fish in inland waters greatly declines overwintering mortality, thus increasing population.  Factor in declining marine fish stocks and you have yourself the perfect recipe. 

Obh Obh!  Tha 'n ce?l air feadh na fidhle!

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
Aye, some numpty had hinted that he would like to see otters targetted too :shock:.

I saw the same hint by another well  known numpty on a stockie bashing forum.  :roll:

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
my l i dare say he did nothing different to any highland gamekeeper in the same situation

you are right, he commited a criminal offence