News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

walking/hiking boots

Started by dazdidge, February 13, 2011, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmul

Quote from: daz on February 14, 2011, 10:52:07 PM
They are deffinatley in my thoughts, but I would have to travel to Yorkshire to get them fitted. Which means added expense getting there and back. I also have half a size difference between feet although mine are only size nine, not bad considering I'm only a short arse, big feet big................................shoes! :D
Do you do a lot of serious walking/hiking  in them Jim? Over five years I might could well be willing to make the effort. I think I have gone through 3 pairs over five years (at a cost of over ?500) so when you count the cost up that way it's starting to make sense. Think I am talking myself into it now.

cheers
daz

Sorry for not getting back quicker Daz, I use them to walk the fells round me,  probably they have had medium use if I had to say how hard they have been used, it's not too bad for me to go to Richmond as it is only about 40 miles or so but it does bump the cost if you have to travel a great distance, but it was great for me to get boots that fitted well as it is a constant problem when you have banana boat size feet  :lol:

corsican dave

Quote from: StuDoig on February 17, 2011, 10:03:47 PM
by far the best idea is trying loads of different boots on and seeing what fits.  If you are in the aviemore area mountain spirit stocks unusual brands - though it tends to be expensive in there!

stu is absolutely right on this: no-one can advise on "best boots" without seeing your feet. i've been fitting boots for years but my bottom line is always that what "feels right", generally is. ALL of the top makes are good. they have to be. but each make has its' unique profile and last which may be perfect for one person's feet; but not yours.
i've expounded on this in great detail previously on the forum, but i stopped commenting after people started suggesting that there was no point going to shops... :roll:

i personally have perfectly fitting boots by haglofs (rrp ?260) and hi-tec (?35). i have a not-perfectly-fitting pair of lundhags (rrp 295) and some modified scarpa freneys (?280) which now fit me after 4 years of playing about with footbeds (currently using a womens specific from superfeet) and heat moulding the heel cup. i use simms wading boots for long-distance forays into the hills wearing my breathables

stu, thanks for the plug :D i'm the manager of mountain spirit in aviemore! we stock a range of premier footwear by people like zamberlan , salomon, hanwag etc.. we select our brands so that we can accommodate a wide range of foot shapes and we charge full retail (no more, no less) for which we make no apologies. we offer a first-class fitting/modification service and if we don't think it's right for you, we won't sell it to you!

incidentally, today i advised a guy on suitable footwear for his cycling/fly fishing trip to new zealand. we don't sell the boots i advised him to consider.. :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

StuDoig

lol, well hope theres a commission payment.......

Have to say the service in mountain spirit has always been good and honest when I've been in - which is refreshing compared to some others!  Thats the last free plug though!

Boots are definately something I don't buy online, its funny how different the fit can be between individual boogs when I've tried it in the past.

Cheers,

Stu

corsican dave

Quote from: StuDoig on February 20, 2011, 08:16:18 PM
lol, well hope theres a commission payment.......

always happy to look after our mates... :wink: :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page