News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Walking boots.

Started by Fin, July 11, 2011, 09:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

Just the other day i noticed that my North face boots were coming apart at the seams. I'm pretty pissed off at this as they are not that old ( 3 yrs ). This might sound old to some but have not done that many miles. The Berghaus pair i had before, lasted around 8 yrs, with many miles.

I'm looking for another pair and have been looking at the Scarpa sl m3 and Scarpa Terra or Ranger GTX boots.

I was wondering if anybody has a pair of these or had  them in the past. Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Also any other recommendations on other boots arround the £100-150 mark.    :)

All the best Fin...

Wildfisher

I have given up on heavy expensive boots I buy Hi-Tec boots like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Haka-Trail-WtPrf-Mens-Walking-Boot-Br-UK-7-13-/280595479659?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item870b74b8a1

Cheap, dead comfy, no breaking in required, loads of support, good non slip sole and last about 2 to 3 years. I use sealskin socks with them and never have wet feet.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Alan on July 15, 2011, 01:56:06 AM
i got these recently, salomen gtx, very light, the soles are not stiff like my old salomens but so far pretty comfy, totally waterproof membrain keeps them dry through burns and bogs which is a must, expensive though.

Thats the ones I've got! My 'Hill Slippers', bloody fantastic they are.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Otter Spotter

I got mine out of Tiso in Perth at inveralmond cant remember what they cost but I think it was about £120
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Malcolm

Boots are difficult - good pairs last for ages and they have been replaced by the time you need a new pair. I like Gronell more than others I have tried.

However I do most of my wandering about in trainers in both summer and winter as they have much better grip than any boots and are much lighter. Downside is that your feet are wet most of the time which bothers me not at all and in fact I just walk straight into the loch or river.

This is the brand I use  http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pb-elite-trainer-p158789 although I'll probably change next year to these
http://www.jalas.fi/index.php?do=productpage&row=120001&page_id=159&; - I already use these as wading boots.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fin

Thanks for your replies guys, bought a pair of Menidl Burma yesterday.

Tried loads on and these felt really comfortable and look solid. I went for a leather pair this time, easier to clean.

Will have them on a lot 1st week of Aug. in Aultbea. If anybody is up there then, i will be the one with the shiny new boots. ( hopefully not limping )  :lol:

All the best Fin.

P.S . By the way Fred how much do seal skin socks cost? how long do they last?..

Fin

Hi Alan, i was curious because if i bought a cheap pair of boots/ trainers, then invested in the socks. I might go through a pair of each, every year, this might not be so cost effective as buying a good pair of boots, which might last up to 10 years. 

All the best Fin....

Malcolm

I hate Seaskinz for walking, Your feet can swell up to a full size on a long walk on a hot day. I really hate this and Sealskinz make my feet swell really quickly.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

ennio

Quote from: Fin on July 11, 2011, 09:44:06 PM
Just the other day i noticed that my North face boots were coming apart at the seams. I'm pretty pissed off at this as they are not that old ( 3 yrs ). This might sound old to some but have not done that many miles. The Berghaus pair i had before, lasted around 8 yrs, with many miles.

Fin, did you think to write to/email North Face and make a complaint? If the boots haven't done that much mileage clean 'em up, take photos, send to North Face and ask what they are going to do because your boots have fallen apart. My wife's Brashers were replaced with new in similar circumstances. You have nothing to lose
Andrew

Go To Front Page