News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Water Purification

Started by dazdidge, March 11, 2012, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

I don't bother and drink what I find. Take a look around for anything obvious, only from fast flowing streams or deep water in the lochs. Some "well-visited" locations I would not bother with.
But for those that are concerned, bringing water to the boil, for tea say, is not enough, you need to keep it on a rolling boil for quite some time to be certain. Same is true for cooking, the temperature is rarely high enough for long enough for it to be bug-free. Boil the water first. Or use the tabs.
Quote from W Gordon Smiths's play "Jock", Jock describes his Highland ancestor-
"He used whisky for water, and water for nothing."
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Stonepark

Quote from: daz on March 11, 2012, 09:30:33 PM
As I mentioned in an older thread I usually carry my water with me if out for a couple of nights, this obviosly weighs a few kilos which I could do without. My mate has a fancy pump thing that gets rid of everything but it cost him a small fortune (well over £100), he does a lot more hiking/camping than me so can justify the cost, but I can't. I have seen various pumps, filters etc but really don't know what to go with.What is quick, easy and cheap to get rid of the nasties as well as the solids? Or is it a case of a simple filter and boil it before use. I must be getting old as I used to drink straight out of streams all the time as a kid and never had a problem, but these days I worry about picking up crypto whatever it is and all the other things you keep being told about.
Any6 suggestions or recomendations gratefully received.

cheers
daz

I use a standard army canteen but with a filter insert/sports lid, called the Aquapure Survivor 4i, not the cheapest but available on the go without having to pump and lasts for 350l and all contained within the waterbottle, so no doubling up of equipment.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Go To Front Page