News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beavering about..

Started by Sandison, May 15, 2014, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midgie Hater

I agree with Alan about the self-gratification aspect of all this and going on from that our paradoxical human approach to what I referred to previously as so-called nature. It's at least partly what I was trying to say earlier, but better expressed :)

However, call it pedantic if you like (I prefer to call it accurate ;) ) but there's no such thing as an illegal beaver :) Illegal acts committed by humans to place them where we deem they shouldn't be, yes. And I'd say the same goes for modifications of water-courses. The beavers are doing what they do. Humans have a choice, so if they breach the laws then it's fair enough that they are pulled up for it, whether we think laws governing such things are right, wrong, too rigidly defined or too vague to interpret without being tripped up.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on May 18, 2014, 04:14:16 PM
How do random unplanned and unlicensed beaver modifications of watercourses fit in with this master plan?

SEPA have little or no remit to deal with "natural" changes to watercourses. In this they defer to SNH.
You will struggle to get SNH to grant you permission to evict or destroy any animal (though they can).
There are a few exceptions on the "pest" list and non-native species such as mink.
For beavers, somebody has to make a decision on what they are nowadays.
A) If a "native mammal" they will require to be added to the list in the legislation and then they (and all their works) would be protected as such- cue outcry from flooded farmers.
B) "Non-native" and you can shoot them at will, cue outcry from beaver cuddlers.
(A) also sets a precedent. If historically native animals can be re-introduced and go onto the protected "native" list, what of wolves, lynx and bear?
Tough times ahead for our decision makers, so they bury their heads in the sands of "scientific investigation" to delay the process and give us the inanity of a re-introduction project for a handful of beavers when something like 60 times that number are roaming free.
So as, the study can only conclude that re-introduction is a good or bad idea, they won't for the reasons given in A and B above.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

burnie

I think I've spotted a niche for my retirement next year................trapper Burnie(I believe they taste alright too).

Wildfisher

Quote from: Midgie Hater on May 18, 2014, 04:32:11 PM
However, call it pedantic if you like (I prefer to call it accurate ;) ) but there's no such thing as an illegal beaver :) Illegal acts committed by humans to place them where we deem they shouldn't be, yes. And I'd say the same goes for modifications of water-courses. The beavers are doing what they do. Humans have a choice, so if they breach the laws then it's fair enough that they are pulled up for it, whether we think laws governing such things are right, wrong, too rigidly defined or too vague to interpret without being tripped up.

You can call them whatever you like. Let's call them Bertie.  Bertie Beaver, that has a ring to it.  :D

As I said above a few Berties on our local rivers could well improve habitat for resident fish, I'm pretty sure they would, they are after all part of the original ecosystem,  even although the rivers bear little resemblance to that now,  but how will Bertie's random modifications of watercourses be received?

On agriculturally worthless wet lands in places like Argyll it may not be a serious  issue, but in the bread basket of Scotland I somehow can't see them being welcome no matter how good the trout fishing gets. That might be one reason why the Bertie trials were located in Argyll and not in Aberdeenshire. 

So, might SEPA have a Bertie monitoring squad that surveys his creations and removes any that are inappropriate?  If so who would pay for this? Perhaps a binocular license could be brought in and enthusiast pro- Bertie groups and Bertie  watchers could finance it? 

SEPA is  very strict about modifications of water courses, they prosecuted a landowner here last year,  and to simply ignore this would do little for its   credibility.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on May 18, 2014, 04:14:16 PM
How do random unplanned and unlicensed beaver modifications of watercourses fit in with this master plan?
SEPA will have to take the beavers responsible to court or the beavers will have to apply to their local authority for planning permission. i should imagine a particularly  enterprising beaver might see an opportunity for setting up a wind-farm or even a hydro-scheme....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 18, 2014, 05:38:35 PM
Shouldn't we call them Bertie the 'wild' beaver? was that not the point of reintroduction? same status as other wild things,

As I said you can call them what you like.

Now what about the issue of random modification of water courses? 

Inchlaggan

OK, somebody had to post this one, might as well be me.

naked-gun-nice-beaver
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 18, 2014, 05:43:07 PM
You would need to define 'random' first, i hope you don't mean beavers are just all behaving randomly :lol:

OK, I'll assume that you are avoiding the question because you  don't have an answer.  :8)

Wildfisher

:lol:

Another cracker, well done!

But getting back to the topic,  what about the issue of beavers modifying  water courses?   What are your views on how that potentially serious issue should be handled?

Wildfisher

The law prevents farmers from making unauthorized modifications.

So,  do you have  any idea how it might be handled?

Go To Front Page