News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travel rod

Started by Richy, March 02, 2006, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten boaber

ALWAYS look at postage costs :evil:  :evil:

haresear

Swithun,

I reckon you have been lucky with your in-cabin luggage.
I remember reading on the sexyloops site that fishing rods are strictly verbotten (post 9/11) on all european flights.
Since then I have been putting my 4 pce (30") rods in my suitcase and praying!
So far (20 flights), so good. But I still shit myself at the luggage carousel....
BTW Penn do a couple of decent 9' #5 options in 4pce. Penn Stillwater and also Gold Medal. Both are OK rods and not too expensive.
I own a few 4pce. rods. I have had no problems with any( Penn and Sage), but I think there must be a point when multi section rods go downhill in the action stakes. Having said that, I have never used a rod with more than 4 sections and a few years ago would never have believed that a 4 pce could bend with no flat spots at the joints.

Alex
Protect the edge.

bluezulu

QuoteI own a few 4pce. rods. I have had no problems with any( Penn and Sage), but I think there must be a point when multi section rods go downhill in the action stakes. Having said that, I have never used a rod with more than 4 sections and a few years ago would never have believed that a 4 pce could bend with no flat spots at the joints.

i used a friend's Hardy Smuggler recently and was amazed..in a good way.

then he told me how much he paid for it and i was amazed in an altogether less positive way.

seems to me that since we are now generally obliged to check rods in rather than take them as hand luggage-  though swithun seems to be better at persuading check in staff than i am  :)  -  5 piece+  plus rods are not such an advantage.

unless of course one is trying to conceal fishing gear in the car when setting off on a 'strictly no fishing' family holiday.

haresear

Ardbeg,

No problomo. I'm amazed that my post made any sense at all, given that I can only vaguely recall typing it!

Bluezulu,

You are right. I'll be doing a bit of rod-smuggling when my ladylfriend and I go to Harris/Skye in May.....
Nowadays the only advantage in multi section rods when flying, is that you don't have a great big rod-tube saying "steal me". You can stick it in your suitcase and just hope that it reaches the same destination at the same time as you do.
Protect the edge.

haresear

You may be wondering what a problomo is. Me too.
my post should of course have read "no problemo". It is a weegie term often used in Benidorm etc.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page