News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Turrall hen capes

Started by Lochan_load, November 11, 2014, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Turrall capes arrived, bought one black and one ginger, the black one is a good dark black and the hackles look like they will do what I need, the skin is a bit brittle from the dying process so will probably be in bits before long but not too bothered about that, the ginger cape is a lot sturdier but not so keen on the hackles, the ginger is very light and not red at all, more strawberry blond! and the feathers are a bit fluffy, alright for some flies but not for the general use I wanted. I wouldn't recommend the ginger ones but the black are not bad for a reasonable price, a couple of spiders to show the hackles colour
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Those look good Andy. I reckon they will make better loch / wet flies  than stiff, spiky genetic cock hackles

Lochan_load

Yeah quite happy with them, I was hoping for a more red brown so I'm going to dye that one and it should be hunky dory!

Robbie

I find that getting the right colour is difficult even when ordering over the phone, next to impossible via internet. Unfortunately it can be equally difficult getting to see most material in the flesh before you buy.

Fishtales

You ordered Ginger and that is what you got. If you had wanted it darker then game red is what you are looking for. Looking at the site then brown or furnace should be dark.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

I've got a mate who is ginger. he said "i'm not ginger, i'm blonde". he has been known as "the blonde one" for the past 12 years.....  that probably doesn't help any  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Cheers for that Dave, I used to have a girlfriend who was strawberry blond, as soon as we split up she became 'that ginger ba&@;:#rd'!!

Anyway I've tied a couple of flies with the ginger hackles and quite like it but I've got a load of odd coloured capes that a mate gave me so I'm gonna pick one of them and dye it, also gonna do some black and claret, if there's any spare I'll put them up for grabs

Go To Front Page