News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Which braid??

Started by Lochan_load, February 13, 2015, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

Be careful if you buy braid on Ebay....very often it is not as it seems.
This used to be my favourite for skate fishing-
http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=205
It had superb abrasion resistance and never failed me but the heavier breaking strains are no longer available.
I use PowerPro too but prefer Whiplash Pro.

Lochan_load

I think I'll go for the power pro super 8, there's a daiwa shinobi braid that sounds the same with the slick coating, can get it a bit cheaper than the power pro. Has anyone tried it?

rannoch raider

Quote from: Lochan_load on February 13, 2015, 10:01:21 PM
I think I'll go for the power pro super 8, there's a daiwa shinobi braid that sounds the same with the slick coating, can get it a bit cheaper than the power pro. Has anyone tried it?

I've never tried the Daiwa Shinobi stuff but if it's anything like the rest of their LRF range (I think it is) then it will be pretty average performance wise but well above average in terms of price. You won't be disappointed with Power Pro. I started using it after a lengthy period of elimination of some real 'reasonably priced' dross ! I had tangles, wind knots, snap offs, rub offs on abrasive surfaces, digging in on the spool, you name it! I eventually went the extra dollar for power pro and haven't looked back. It's on all my reels now, multipliers and spinning reels. I use it for everything from float fishing for Roach to ledgering 6 fillets of mackerel on a pound and a half of lead for Skate.
I have had the same spool of braid on my main bass plugging reel for three seasons and it's still going strong. You will need to attach a fluorocarbon or mono leader to the business end and replace it when required. You will also need to learn a couple of new knots. The sensitivity of braid is quite something but it can take a wee bit of getting used to.

Lochan_load

Alright you've persuaded me, the best I can get it for is about £37 off eBay, nearly as much as the reel  :shock:
as my dad always says tho buy cheap but twice!

rannoch raider

What break strain and what sort of length do you need ? What do you intend to do with it ?

rannoch raider

I ask because if you are putting it on a spinning reel you will be unlikely to need a 300metre spool? You can buy in spools of @ 150 metres and this will be more than enough to handle anything you are going to catch in the UK . Back it up with anything you fancy from insulating tape to mono ? When you have worn one end out (takes a while if you use a fluorocarbon leader) then take it off and turn it around. Much cheaper and you can make a spool of 150m last for years!

I use these guys who provide top class gear at great prices and with excellent service too.

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/braid-c-52_53.html

Lochan_load

Alright thanks for that, I'll prob half fill with mono and then top up with braid. It's really just for filling my new baitrunner for trolling/spinning between drifts of fly fishing, I usually go for 15lb but might go a bit heavier with braid, cheers for the advice I'll give your link a bash   :D

rannoch raider

Yeah, that's the way to do it. Obviously when you attach your 24 inch fluorocarbon leader you make sure it is a lesser breaking strain than your braid. You won't cry about losing two foot of fluoro but you don't really want to lose 25metres of braid in a sunken log type snag !!!!!

Lochan_load

Cheers for that link, good prices and could spend a fortune on some of there lures, jointed trout crank baits look deadly, just have to catch the post before the wife  :lol:

rannoch raider

Yeah, it's a great wee site. You get a really great service from them too. I asked for a particular lure a while back. They had run out of stock but found a good number of 'un packed' lures of the type I was after. They gathered them together and sent me them free of charge. This year I wanted more of them as they are soft and the fish really rip them to pieces on the take. I let them know and I got an email this week to tell me they had sourced them. They gave me the link to their stock before putting it up for online sale so I'd have a chance of getting what I'd been after.
That's what I'd call service!
I've been using them for years and have never had any issues at all. The Rapala 'esq' lures you mention look better in the hand than on the web site. I'll be swimming a few of them this year! :-)

I'm on first name terms with the postie!

Go To Front Page