News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Water Proof Cameras

Started by Highlander, September 15, 2015, 05:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Looking to buy a waterproof compact camera. Mine died a death on S. Uist due to water ingress. Do not need anything fancy, just suitable for some quick snaps of fish, scenery etc.
Got to be small, simple & cheapish.          Any recommendation guys.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Bobfly

Several friends who go canoeing and take underwater pictures of the sea bed and stuff like that all use an Olympus Tough TG4 camera  and reckon it is good. I have no idea of what it costs but it is "tough" according to them.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

speydulika

I recently lost yes lost my waterproof Panasonic FT5 which was fully waterproof. Upon looking for a replacement I was torn between buying another one or going for the Olympus Tough TG4. Because the Panasonic is using 7 year old technology and through some sterling advice from Bobfly I opted for the Olympus. It has loads of fiddly settings that you can adjust yourself but best of all at least for me is the fact that it has an 'idiot button' or intelligent auto. You point the camera and it does all the funky shit and all you have to do is press the button. It is a little bit more expensive than the Panasonic and a touch heavier but you can drop it from stupid heights without smashing it or dunk it to silly depths without drowning the little bugger. The macro facility is excellent for close underwater details.  Mine cost me £290.00 from Amazon Prime. There is a Website called DSLR Hut where it was a lot cheaper but when you read the online reviews about the site they get absolutely slated to death.  I trust Amazon and when I ordered it online on a Saturday night it got delivered Sunday morning.

Bobfly

Delighted that you are getting good results with that Olympus camera ..... saved me an embarrassing bollocking if it didn't do the business !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Thanks guys but I just want a "cheepo" to take odd pictures of fish,deid things & scenery. I do not intend it for underwater footage just the fact that I can carry it in my pocket or backpack &  if it gets a few drops or rain or I drop it it will still work ok. Nearly £300 pounds is way out the ballpark. I am thinking £100 - tops.

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

speydulika

If you had said you wanted something less than a hundred quid in the first place it might have been useful. Here is one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ULQCP60/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1442349155&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=waterproof+camera

It gets some pretty good reviews. I am just not too sure about the yellow colour.  Mind you mine is bright red.

Highlander

Highlander said
[quoteDo not need anything fancy, just suitable for some quick snaps of fish, scenery etc.
Got to be small, simple & cheapish.     ][/quote]

Whilst I did not mention a price in my original post I would have thought that £290 squid might be a tad on the high side of simple & cheepish.

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

tomsampson

I've had a Canon Powershot D10 for years. Never let me down. Had a quick look on Ebay and good looking 2nd hand ones seem to be making £40 to £50. from memory it was over £200 new.

corsican dave

probably not what you want to read, but up your budget to £200 and you'll get a penny back on the lumix FT5 on amazon right now, which is a very good deal. my ft3 has proven to be rugged and reliable, surviving sea kayaking, numerous dunkings and even being crushed in a car door. my only minor gripes are that it's not quite perfect in low light and there's a maximum 10 second timed delay
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Highlander

Thanks for advice people, have been offered Pentax Optio for £35 second hand from a forumite which I will take.
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page