News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Water Proof Cameras

Started by Highlander, September 15, 2015, 05:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I bought a new Panasonic Lumix waterproof compact camera this spring to replace my Pentax Optio compact. The Pentax tends to  produce grainy images in poor light and to my horror, after spending £200 or so on the Panasonic I found it does exactly the same thing.  :roll:  Good light = good photos, poor light = grainy photos. The extra glass in front of the lens cuts down the light arriving at the sensor in both cameras and they have to ratchet up the ISO  - result grain. The Panasonic is not really any better than the Pentax which was not a cheap camera when I bought it.

I realized after thinking about it that my dissatisfaction was because I was comparing the waterproof compacts with the DSLRs I am used to. It's chalk and cheese and not a fair comparison. You would have to spend serious money to get a waterproof camera that compares to my Nikon DSLR.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on September 16, 2015, 12:56:21 PM
You would have to spend serious money to get a waterproof camera that compares to my Nikon DSLR.
is there actually anything out there that does, Fred? (serious question; not sarcastic for once) :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Not that I have heard of Dave, but I have not looked. My guess is there will be some "professional"  grade  waterproof cameras just as there are "professional"  DSLRs that cost 1000s

My new Nikon D7100 is in the £850 - £1000 range, not a "professional"  camera but neither is it  "consumer". It's an "enthusiast"  grade device I got a good deal on mine at £850 . It is quite simply magical.

Goodness knows what a professional camera at more than twice the price offers.

Photography is not a cheap hobby, OK once you have the kit it's not bad, but good kit  (as with everything else you will no doubt point out  :lol: ) especially  good lenses costs a small fortune.

All that said look what you pay for a top end fly rod!  I think a good  camera is the better deal.  :8)

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on September 16, 2015, 02:05:27 PM
All that said look what you pay for a top end fly rod!  I think a good  camera is the better deal.  :8)
would have to agree with you there, Fred! i'll put the same question to my semi-pro photographer buddy and see what he says. it's a real pity about the light gathering of the FT series as I think the lens is genuinely top quality. the problem would appear to be with the housing, as you say. it's interesting that Matt Hayes really rates it in his book "Fish Eye", but then it was probably the best of the bunch when the book was published. given good lighting and a tripod it's superb; otherwise it's a waterproof & bounce-proof point and pray  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

The FTs are good cameras Dave. I  just had overly high expectations. The best compact digital  cameras I have owned were a cheap Kodak and a Fuji. Both about the £100 mark and both  took bright sharp photos. Neither was waterproof.

As for  expensive rods I now buy 2nd hand from disillusioned seekers of magic bullets.  :lol:

Bought a Sage ZXL, a Sage Z Axis and a Scott S4 all for between £200 and £280

They were all like new.  :8)

corsican dave

I decided to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and pinged off an e-mail to Matt Hayes. be interesting to see what he says.... :8)

don't hold your breath waiting for my Sage Pike, btw. it most definitely ain't for sale!  :lol:

Bobfly

Just a thought but, for someone wanting to take a number of underwater pictures, perhaps a waterproof housing for a decent ordinary camera would be better if someone did want to make underwater photos with existing good kit. Could well give good results and no need for a separate camera. How it all works ..... I have no idea !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page