News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tapered Leaders

Started by Havtafish, April 26, 2006, 11:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use tapered leaders?

Yes
18 (81.8%)
No
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 26, 2006, 11:12:34 PM

Bob Wyatt

Years ago, one of the most frequent complaints  from my loch fishing pals was about getting 'fankled'.  Since they began using tapered leaders I hardly ever hear that anymore.  They used to think a tapered leader was unneccesary for fishing downwind, forgetting that a good backcast is as important as the forward cast.  If the leader doesn't turn over on the backcast, it probably won't on the forward throw.

The tapered leader tranfers the energy of the fly line through to its end.  That's why the fly line is tapered in the first place. The leader just continues that taper.

I just use heavy butt nylon leaders with a gradual taper, Selectacast mostly.  They work fine even into a head wind.   :)

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bob WyattThey used to think a tapered leader was unneccesary for fishing downwind, forgetting that a good backcast is as important as the forward cast.  If the leader doesn't turn over on the backcast, it probably won't on the forward throw.

That's what I thought too..................... :oops:   what you say there though makes good sense.

haresear

QuoteI've been using Maxima this season, but the droppers keep burling round the cast  I attach the dropper to the ring, would attaching the dropper to the cast via a water knot stop this?

Uncleboo,

Although I have used leader rings, I have only done so for dries and nymphs. For wets, I use the waterknot to form the dropper. One of the main reasons I prefer to use fluoro for this, is the inherent stiffness of the material, which reduces the tendency of the dropper to tangle.
I know a lot of people have experienced problems with some brands of fluoro, which has probably put them off. In my opinion, the fluoro equivalant of Maxima is Fulling Mill's stuff. It is relatively thick and tough as our work canteen's scones :cry:
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteI also hear it's got a half life of a sqillion years.

Told you it was like one of  our canteen's scones :lol: !

Seriously, yes it seems nigh indesructible. I always carry scissors and always cut it my tangled leaders into lengths of two or three inches, which I must admit, I do discard. :oops:
I used to do a lot of coarse fishing and have had to untangle birds from discarded/lost line in the past.  :cry:
Protect the edge.

haresear

uncle,

For bog-standard work, I like Fulling Mill. If you feel you need to go finer, Airflo's Sight Free G3 works for me. It is the only Airflo product I would give house room to. I would equate Fulling Mill stuff to Maxima and G3 to a "double strength" nylon.

Knots? I am a simple soul and use a 5 turn half blood. If I am using 5lb upwards I would probably make that a 5 turn tucked HB.
I really must learn the uni-knot though as everyone says it works OK with Frog Hair, which I think behaves well apart from its aversion to my HB knots and may be useful to me in its finer diameters for midsummer river work.
For droppers, a 2 or 3 turn water knot. I used to use a 1 turn water knot and never had it fail (admittedly I was catching bandies or is it bandys) , but got heckled by a mate, so bowed to peer pressure.
Protect the edge.

Bob Wyatt

Alex,

The uni is a much more reliable knot than the HB, IMO, and easier to tie.

I agree about the two turn water knot though.  It's all I ever use.  I only use two turns on the Uni too.  I think the symetrical figure-eight knot formed by the two turns is what makes it so good.

Not a big fan of Fluoro though.  Just can't see any advantage to it. I'm convinced that trout can see it as well as normal mono  or copoly of the same diameter. It sinks, I guess, if that's important.

haresear

QuoteNot a big fan of Fluoro though. Just can't see any advantage to it. I'm convinced that trout can see it as well as normal mono or copoly of the same diameter.

Not being a trout Bob, I couldn't comment on the visibility :) .
Seriously, I don't buy that refractive index crap. I use the stuff because firstly it is stiff and secondly it sinks pretty well.

Conversely, I have used it as a stiff extension to my tapered leader butt when fishing dries. I just grease it up and (being comprised of a stiffer substance) it gives a good turnover into the wind for a smaller diameter than nylon. Just add your usual tippet.
Protect the edge.

Bob Wyatt

:D God points on fluoro's stiffness, hare.  Normal mono soaks up water and goes quite limp.

harelug

A point worth noting on flurocarbon is that it aint always what it says it is. Several brands are only florocarbon coated. The acid test is to touch a flame to it, both nylon and mono will ignite but remove the flame and flurocarbon extinguishes, nylon continues to burn. I'm with Alex on its stiffness/anti tangle properties and like to think it gets my chez nymphs where I want them quickly.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

haresear

Quotelike to think it gets my chez nymphs where I want them quickly

Are those french nymphs then John? :)
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page