News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

small stream special

Started by corsican dave, November 11, 2016, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I've come to the conclusion that i'm really missing out by not fishing the river at the bottom of the garden. it'd give the duck pond a bit of respite!
so, thinking ahead, what would your recommendations be for a small stream rod? I prefer very fast action rods, but I'm quite happy with slower, more traditional rods. I enjoyed a dalliance with classic cane for a while, so  maybe one of the new fangled glass-fibre jobbies?  :lol:

it'll have to be very short, 7' or thereabouts as there's a lot of bankside vegetation.

all suggestions very welcome
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

arawa

For light line fishing I love my 8'4 #3 Helios. Orvis do 6 and 7ft versions in # 2, 3 and 4 weights.
Mine is a mid flex and casts beautifully at short range as well as long.

Robbie

Never tried one , but have heard that the glass fibre rods are meant to be more robust. Personally never broken a rod on a tree but it could be a consideration.

corsican dave

I've been ogling a vision cult 5'9" 3wt. (glass fibre)anyone had any experience of these?
generally I've found Vision to produce pretty good quality kit at the upper end of mid-range
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

If it's small and overgrown with limited room then the very last thing you want is a fast action rod. Get something that is more or less self loading and a chore will become a pleasure. Glass rods are  great if you can get them as they self-load and are less easily broken. Sadly the tackle tart industry for those who don't actually fish that much  seems to rediscovered them and ask insane prices for what are now new fashion items.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on November 17, 2016, 02:13:44 PM
If it's small and overgrown with limited room then the very last thing you want is a fast action rod. Get something that is more or less self loading and a chore will become a pleasure. Glass rods are  great if you can get them as they self-load and are less easily broken. Sadly the tackle tart industry for those who don't actually fish that much  seems to rediscovered them and ask insane prices for what are now new fashion items.

yes; that was my impression too, Fred. I've seen glass rods in excess of carbon prices. they're promoting them as if they're something revolutionary!

the cult is a very (to me) soft action and would appear to be ideal. especially as 1) my local dealer has one & 2) it's not exorbitant
review here http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5276

Highlander

rediscovered them and ask insane prices for what are now new fashion items.

Looks as if that may well be true. Having said that if you can get your hands on old model Hardy Jet or Perfection for the right price then you will have all the rod you need for streams but for some reason the lighter/ shorter rods go for much more than the heavier stuff.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Problem with a lot of these old glass rods Alan is heavy line weights. I still have a few old Milbro Truefly from the 1960s, but they are all  6 weighs. I'm not even sure they made them lighter,

Bobfly

I can certainly recommend the Shakespeare Agility Rise small line wt rods. I have an 8' 6", 4 weight, four piece and use it from the tube in wee lochs and the local burns and it is an easy casting delight to handle -- and very cheap to buy at about £48-£50 from lots of tackle shops. There are a 6' 3wt and 4wts at 7',7.5', 8' and 8.5' in the lower line weights. From Sportfish I also have one of their old 8' 3wts that is on a Harrison blank that could maybe be tracked down from Harrison if it is still available and that is a lightweight softy, but an 8' at 4wt Shakey would probably do very well.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

The more rods I buy the more convinced I become that you are mad to spend big money on a fly rod as, mostly, what you are paying for is magazine adverts. I've been very pleased with my Leeda Volare rods and I know you had one of the 11 foot ones Dave. Why not take a look at their 6 or 7 foot rods for a 3 weight line? You'd pay less than £50 for what would be, I'm sure, a nice usable rod. The 11 foot 4 weight you sold on was a very soft action rod but the 7 weight one I have is much faster and throws a serious line so they do a good range of actions to suit everyone.   

Go To Front Page