Author Topic: salmon dictates...  (Read 157 times)

Offline corsican dave

• moustachioed elitist, hell-raiser & white-slaver
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Offline Roobarb

Re: salmon dictates...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
I've read about this before somewhere.
Apparently nets were strung across the river to hold fish back in the pools he was due to fish. On one occasion, so the story goes, the fish were packed so tight that the ghillie gaffed the wrong fish, one that wasn't even hooked!

I also once saw an article in one of the mountain bike mags where some guys were doing a trip around Spain in the 1990's. In the article was a picture of a local they came across cycling down the road on a Raleigh Chopper. Strapped to the frame were a spinning rod and gaff and hanging from the handle bars was a fresh run 10lb salmon!
I wonder if there many salmon left in Spain now?

Andy

Offline corsican dave

• moustachioed elitist, hell-raiser & white-slaver
Re: salmon dictates...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »
northern spain (Asturias) is a bit of a stronghold Andy. the permit system is nothing short of; well, baffling, to say the least! it looks like there's a ballot system in operation, which favours locals rather heavily. I've spent may days gazing down into the most stunning gorges up there and thinking, " I wonder...." the sella & the cares are just spectacular. guided would be the way forwards and probably some experience of multi-pitch abseils. I could help you with that bit!

try doing a google search for huchen in spain :wink:

http://pescatravel.com/pesca/rio/espana_eng.htm

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach