News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading boots, again!

Started by Lochan_load, May 10, 2017, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

The soles of my wading boots have started to come away 😭 I'll glue the sole on and use for boats, So looking for a replacement that I can use for more distance and maybe stud up for rivers.
Looking for any recommendations at a reasonable price and also wondering if anyone has tried either of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112393075447     Rockhopper type thing from snowbee

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371853755829      Daiwa wading boots, because they're only £50

Cheers

Andy

corsican dave

does depend on your interpretation of reasonable. i am not by any means a rich guy. i wear mine around 50 to 80 days a year; sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes not at all when we're frozen up. three years ago i bought Simms G3 Guide boots at around £200. so these boots have cost me roughly 80p each time i've been out. i am not expecting to replace them any time soon.

everyone moans about the cost of decent wading boots & says it's not worth it. look at it this way; it's tools for the job. if you were in the happy position of targeting bonefish every time you went out, you would pretty soon upgrade your reel to a fully protected saltwater one with a good drag system.

why not see wading boots for hill loch fishing the same way? it's right up there at the extreme end of fishing. most folks just bundle out the back of their cars and stroll 200m or so down to the river or stockie pond.

buy cheap, buy twice

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Makes perfect sense dave, i paid around £200 for hikers years ago and they are still going strong.......I'll have a think!

Looked into those daiwa ones by the way and apparently they're mince  :roll:

scoobyscott

The Daiwa ones look very similar to scuerra boots I had and fell apart after a season. I've now got a pair of orvis ones that were about 130 two years ago. All leather uppers similar to Simms. These have been my longest lasting pair and look to have at least another season in them if not more.
Ps im pretty hashy with my gear

Lochan_load

[attachimg=1]

If the wife asks they were 50 quid 😬 I'm blaming you dave!

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on May 11, 2017, 01:39:34 PM
If the wife asks they were 50 quid 😬 I'm blaming you dave!

sweet! great price too. :D i give mine a good coat of leather proofing (nikwax or similar) every 6 months or so after making sure they're dry (ish!). i know that seems strange, but even good quality leather doesn't like being thoroughly soaked then dried out again.

but you won't be disappointed and you can tell your wife to check the price with me. £50 was a good deal!  :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on May 11, 2017, 09:35:49 AM
buy cheap, buy twice

Nonsense.

With wading boots the immutable  rule is buy cheap, buy thrice.  At least.  :lol:

Bobfly

I think I saw that those Rockhopper long spiky studded ones were pretty popular with folk on rocky sea shores and wading in seaweed places.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

honorary membership of the PSFGC is hereby conferred, Andy  :8)

Lochan_load

Go To Front Page