News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon

Started by free the bees, May 19, 2017, 09:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

free the bees

Good morning,

I have started using flurocarbon and i am have real problems of breakages on the droppers.  I have been using a double water knot on teh droppers as i do with mono but the amount of breakages is surprising, so much so I have no confidence in it now.  I am using fullingmill 3lb fluro, but it has also happened to the greys fluro I have used. 

Should I be using a different knot?  Do you wet the knot?  I have tried wet and dry knot and both have snapped.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wildfisher

I had exactly the same issue  some years ago and stopped using the stuff. I also had some mystery break offs with Stroft.  For me now it's Maxima if pulling flies / streamers  and Rio Powerflex for everything else.

Lochan_load

fergie

Even with my limited experience i noticed just too many unexplained snap offs. Maxima for me now.Except when I'm using big ants and stuff I still have 8lb fluorocarbon for that.

alba

Never ever had issues with breakoffs but I don't use it much, sometimes in high wind on a loch as I find its less likely to turn into a birds nest.

I tent to use drenan sub surface for nearly everything now. I did have a lot of breakage issues with frog hair copolymer bu that was soon binned.

sagecirca

3lb fluorocarbon is pretty weak as it is but when you knot it you further reduce its strength.  I'm not sure I'd ever use 3lb flurocarbon when fishing droppers.  What kind of fishing are you doing?

corsican dave

funnily enough myself & Philip (caorach) were just chatting about this. i've been using Riverge Grand Max almost exclusively for the last couple of years & I love it. as Liam says, it's a confidence thing. never had a problem with it. other than the price, of course.... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

arawa

I had similar problems with light flouro (Riverge) and put it down to poor knots on my part. I usually fish a single fly on a tapered leader to a length of level tippet. Since I started using tiny tippet rings at the joints the problem has gone away. These also make it easy to add a dropper if I want to use a multiple fly cast.

free the bees

Quote from: sagecirca on May 19, 2017, 10:22:46 AM
3lb fluorocarbon is pretty weak as it is but when you knot it you further reduce its strength.  I'm not sure I'd ever use 3lb flurocarbon when fishing droppers.  What kind of fishing are you doing?

Used it mostly in rivers fishing nymphs and spiders (on the dropper).

From all the comments, looks like i am not the only one having issues!  Think i will go back to maxima

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page