News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

PLBs - personal locator beacons

Started by caorach, May 29, 2017, 07:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

After a recent thread where the angler was sensible enough not to attempt a trip to a loch that he thought was a little "dodgy" I thought to ask if anyone else is carrying a PLB and also to give my opinions (remember folks my opinions are worth what you paid for them) on the subject. Within the last few years PLBs have been licensed for use on land in the UK but it is a requirement to register any device and to provide contact details etc.

I always recommend that people don't carry a PLB. That is until they demonstrate that they have some common sense, can navigate, have contingency plans in place etc. My view is that the PLB is a position of last resort for people who have already made good plans to preserve their own welfare and the people with the common sense to have such plans are also likely to have the common sense to use a PLB, and not to summon help when they run out of pizza or the power goes off for half an hour.

However, I've also formed the opinion that if you should find yourself in trouble, say with a broken leg in some remote spot, then a PLB might actually reduce the effort and resources required to find you and so proper use of such a device might actually reduce the load on the emergency services plus it could result in a more timely rescue. If you've left details with someone relating to your route and the time you expect to return then, when you fail to return, that still leaves a big area to search and once you are overdue then a search is what will happen. If trouble has befallen you, and you are in a position to operate a PLB, then the emergency services will get the alert and will phone around your contacts (as registered with them) who will be able to tell them that you are out, your approx location and the time you thought you'd be back. If the details all add up then they will launch a rescue attempt armed with your location and with the knowledge that your PLB also transmits a signal that allows them, once they are close to you, to use direction finding equipment to home in on your precise location. It seems to me that this makes life a whole lot easier for everyone involved: your nearest and dearest know you can summon help even with no phone signal, your rescue time can be significantly reduced increasing your chances and the people coming to rescue you can make a plan based on knowing your location to within a few meters even before they leave the office.

The big downside of a PLB is that they are an expensive gadget that you will probably never use and it is hard to justify that. I justified it on the reasoning of "If you were lying with a broken leg, getting colder and knowing that no one expected you back for another 8 hours would you pay £200 to be able to raise the alarm right now?" I figured that my answer to that question would be a big yes. Another downside with them is that they are "certified" and so have very conservative performance limits which means that the battery needs changed every 5 - 6 years and this is a costly operation, in fact it may be sufficiently costly that you might just want to buy the latest model rather than change the battery in your old one. Only you can do the cost-benefit analysis for your circumstances.

Does anyone else carry one? How does your reasoning compare to mine?

corsican dave

in short, my reasoning is the same as yours: they're not a substitute for proper navigation & hill-craft. except, rather sadly, they actually are... :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Part-time

I had to start using one at work a few years back - health & safety and lone working in remote places with no mobile signal. Their use is now not that uncommon in a few rural industries these days and I heard they even issue them if you go on one of those BASC stalking schemes. I was a bit sceptical to start with but, having got used to them, think they are a pretty good idea for the same reasons as you, although the device I use (and see used most often elsewhere) lets you check in, request non emergency help as well as emergency services call out - when you checkin/request non emergency help the people you nominate get a text and email giving your co-ordinates and a link to google earth showing your location. You can also set the device to track you constantly which lets anyone you nominate keep tabs on where you are. https://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=100   I've never had any problem getting it to send so long as you leave it switched on for at least 20 minutes, even in woodland.

I now take it with me if I'm going on any fishing/camping trips to remoter places - just in case. The device costs approx £100 and the annual contract £100 - less than most folks mobile contracts. Accidents can still happen to even the most experienced so I'd say why not take one with you (particularly if you are on your own) on the basis of better to have it and not need it...... 

They don't substitute for navigation and other outdoor skills/procedures, however, unfortunately I think that you are right Dave that some folk will use them (and GPS) to do just that. Thing is these are the kind of people who are going to get into difficulties no matter what. Overall I'd guess there are more advantages than disadvantages in having this kind of technology widely available. 

Bobfly

A bit of a sad commentary, but a few winters ago the Cairngorm team was called out four times in five days searching for folk who were "using" for navigation mobile phones with batteries gone dead and they could not get off the hill !!!
Goodness knows what would happen if they were commonplace, but we can make a good guess.  :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

scoobyscott

Sound so a good idea not sure if I'll get one though as I don't go to remote places really. Is there anywhere that you can learn how to use a compass and map though? I have used them before and did orienteering once or twice at school. As said I don't tend to go off the beaten track much but would like to be confident if I was too

Bobfly

Cheap as chips and a very good instruction manual is a book called Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff. You can get these for about £3 on Amazon. A real classic for map and compass work. Highly recommended.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

Quote from: Part-time on May 30, 2017, 12:45:13 AM
the device I use (and see used most often elsewhere) lets you check in, request non emergency help as well as emergency services call out

One thing to be aware of is that this isn't a PLB and so is not certified to the same level, Spot will not offer any guarantee that it will work. I think the Spot devices are a great idea but I was looking for an emergency system of "last resort" and the Spot devices are not at a level where they fulfill that as yet as reliability problems are not unusual with them. When/where they work they are good for providing "check in" type coverage but if you want something that is certified to work when it goes really badly wrong then you still need to go to a full PLB. The other side of this is that you might have people who feel a lot better if you can check in with them and, clearly, the Spot works well there plus the Spot looks good on a lone working risk assessment.

ant0

My old boss, now in his late 70's still goes out lone hillwalking munros etc. His wife recently insisted he get one for the "just in case" scenario of a broken leg, etc that you mentioned.  He's very a very experienced navigator and hill walker, but that's of no help miles from nowhere when you can't walk. So in that sense a good idea and good investment I'd say.

I'm with the wife 99% of the time when out walking remote areas so unless we both broke a leg or whatever then one could go for help, so not something I'd get, but may regret that one day.  Also my wife's navigation skills are less than great so she may just get lost if she went to get help for me  :lol:

caorach

Quote from: ant0 on May 30, 2017, 02:12:09 PM
I'm with the wife 99% of the time when out walking remote areas so unless we both broke a leg or whatever then one could go for help,

One of the things that inclined me towards the PLB was an incident that happened in a very remote spot and, most unusually, I was with someone. I was walking along when something happened (missed footing? Rock I didn't see? I don't really know) but I went over on my ankle and my leg with off with a big crack. I went straight down and was waiting for the pain to start and I could see the person with me looking at me and thinking "How do I get him out of here?" The next bit is beyond explanation but it didn't really get painful and I was able to stand up and carry on walking and we did quite a few more hours. The next day my leg was purple, blue and yellow from my toes to my knee but, again, I had basically no pain and no real inconvenience. Had the person with me needed to go for help then I'm guessing it would have been 6 - 8 hours before a mountain rescue team could have got to my location, maybe a hour or two less for a helicopter, the PLB could have cut maybe as much as 3 hours off the time before someone knew there was a problem. After walking hard I know I get very cold even lying for a short while so things like hypothermia seem a very real risk in that timescale.

I didn't see the slip coming, I've no idea how it happened and no matter how careful I would be I couldn't avoid doing the same thing in future so I concluded that if there was a device available designed to help in those situations then it would be a worthwhile investment. I'm out probably 100 days per year, mostly in remote areas where rescue will require something more than an ambulance and where cell phone coverage is unreliable or unavailable so on that basis the £200ish for a PLB with a 5 - 6 year life is reasonable value for money. 

ant0

QuoteHad the person with me needed to go for help then I'm guessing it would have been 6 - 8 hours before a mountain rescue team could have got to my location, maybe a hour or two less for a helicopter, the PLB could have cut maybe as much as 3 hours off the time before someone knew there was a problem. After walking hard I know I get very cold even lying for a short while so things like hypothermia seem a very real risk in that timescale.

That's a fair point.

On a similar but different vein... what's peoples experience of the "Emergency SMS Service" ?? http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/
I'd  never come across it until attending a winter mountain lecture thing given by Heather Morning, but have since registered my phone as required and would try it in case of an emergency although no idea how reliable it is in term of cover. Would be a help if in an area with good or even patchy service but not relying on it for remote locations.  I don't know how this ties in with areas when you have no signal and your phone displays "Emergency Call Only" for example?  Is there a backup/background network with more coverage only for these "Emergency Calls" ???  Never thought about it before.

Go To Front Page