Author Topic: Trout & Salmon  (Read 376 times)

Offline johnny boy

• Senior Member.
Trout & Salmon
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »
Picking up from another thread I didnt want to hijack.  I get the feeling from a lot of posts on here that a lot of members feel that this publication is a lot of drivvel and not worth the shiny paper its printed on.  I would like to see how far that goes, is it an outspoken few or the common consensus (why is it the dark side???)

I will admit to buying about 10 out of every 12 mags a year and have done so for over 25 years, I would not say i find every mag a fantastic read but i would rather have it than not.

'Fly Fishing and Fly Tying' and 'Trout Fisherman' but to name a couple have tried but failed to emulate its succsess (IMHO), probably down to them focusing on rainbow fisheries so its not my thing.

As i have said i get it almost every month, i enjoy the many different opinions and the thought provoking opinions put forward.  The latest thing for me is that i have started to experiment with lighter leaders, down from 6 to 4 lb leaders, not sure if i will stick with it but who knows, thats the joy of the sport.

I love this forum as well but like differing opinions as well.

So why do you think so many critisise our main advertisement magazine???

OR have i read threads who slag it off but its tongue in cheek and i am not savvy enough to pick this up???

Offline alba

Re: Trout & Salmon
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:37:39 AM »
I buy it probably 6,7 times a year. Fairly decent reading although I don't always agree with a lot of the articles. A lot of why I like is tackle advertisements and reviews etc.

Don't see the issue with it if I'm honest.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Can't really comment  as the last copy I bought  was in Manchester Airport n February 2012 when heading out to New Zealand. I have not bought a fishing magazine since.

I will say this though - I considered T&S to be  head and shoulders above the other UK competition. It has a long tradition behind it that copy cats like FF&FT just don't have.
The Forum Is Still Alive And Kicking

Offline Roobarb

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
If I started out fly fishing today it is the one I would buy no questions asked.

However after forty years of fishing I struggle to find anything new or interesting in it. I bought the July copy this year (the first one I've bought in six years) and it cost 3.70. So for my money I got something that I can read in two hours. Had I spent that wisely in the Co op it would have fed me and the missus for two days, go figure!

Andy

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:30:47 AM »
it cost 3.70. So for my money I got something that I can read in two hours.

One reason why I buy books. 
The Forum Is Still Alive And Kicking

Offline Element

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
I haven't bought a copy in maybe 8-10 years... Used to now and then but I don't have any interest in Salmon & the articles about that coupled with the (probably needed bread & butter) tackle adverts and the IMHO biased to Salmon again rivers, reservoirs and lochs reports took up too much of the mag to warrant my continued interest. I was finding that there wasn't much for me in it, but then that's me, others will be different  :8) So if you are into your Salmon as well as trout then maybe its going to 'float your boat' - but if not... That said... I have not bought any other competitive fishing mag ever... Maybe an odd 'Sea Angler' copy 15-20 yrs ago...

E.
Holder of the British Record - Highest Altitude Trout
Caught At 849 Metres / 2,800 Feet ... No one gets even close...
Currently driving everywhere again at 25p / lt Biodiesel...

My other car is a Marlin Roadster

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
I agree, if I was starting today then I'd buy a few books. T&S is probably the best of the bunch but there's only so much you can write about every month.

As I was bored during the winter I read all the copies I have from '70 to '89....my god they are dull. Nothing in them of any interest, just lots of whining about the decline of salmon numbers. This was in the '70's when the runs in some places were huge. Seems it twas ever thus

There reports section did used to contain information on trout fishing, now it's just salmon reports. I suppose no one gets excited at half pound trout these days

Difficult to keep everyone happy but there's things they could do to make it more original.
I would say the magazine today is a better read than in the past but it's not for me now.

Offline Laxdale

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
My daughter used to get me a years subscription for my birthday. Two years ago I told her not to bother any more as there was little to interest me in it.
I think all angling magazines (and books to a certain extent), are aimed at less experienced anglers as that is the biggest market.
I prefer to work out how to fish in any given situation myself. That is part of the challenge.

Only last year an article appeared in T & S. It was  sort of "how to" by a guy presented as an expert on said subject.....I, and all my fishing associates, regard him as "useless". And you have to be BAD to get that rating!
Which makes me wonder about the competence of other contributors.

I have to confess to writing a few articles in the Sea Angler magazine 25 years ago, but I grew out of that.

Offline scoobyscott

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
I've got a subscription after signing up in gac as it was a tenner for the year. Think it was 30 all in with a 20 voucher for the store. It's ok for a half hour on the toilet  :shock: I do like reading some of the river articles of places I've not fished but way too much salmon stuff in it.

Offline Highlander

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
I was an avid buyer of magazines. Way back it was Rod & Line in the 60s Long time now defunct Scottish Angler, The Creel, Sea Angler & then T& S. Now other than at Xmas & on my caravan holiday (for something to read) I never buy a magazine. The articles are generally hash ups of things gone past authors & writers of the calibre of lets say "Nightlines" simply are not there, instead we get Paul Proctor & Stan Headly & co. Like a few others have said is  still way ahead of FF&FT & Trout Fisherman the latter of which I would not give the time of day too.
I was lucky enough to buy three binded copies of I think all of the old Rod & Line from No1 onwards on E Bay for 20 or thereabouts so I am getting reacquainted with that at the present time. Like Fred I prefer a good book but rather than tales I use them as reference. One exception is Mc Lean's novello A River Runs Through It which I read way before the Redford film & today stands up there as one of the classics of fishing related writing.
Tight Lines
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:10:04 PM by Highlander »
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit