Author Topic: Trout & Salmon  (Read 373 times)

Offline SoldierPmr

Re: Trout & Salmon
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
Trout and Salmon is a shadow of its former self. When I were but a lad it was packed with articles casting spells of  charming dry fly only days on The Test  with Sir Rupert and Great Uncle Stodger catching fine trout beneath blue, mayfly filled  skies. 

Ah yes, those were the days when only the best people were allowed on those rivers and the hoi polloi were kept at bay and in their place!  It gave young working class Scots like myself something to aim for in one’s fly fishing life. Sadly, like  the Trout and Salmon of yore, those days have gone forever and they’ll let anyone on. 

Now the Wild Fishing Forum stands virtually alone in bringing  hope of better fly fishing days by maintaining the old values of exclusivity, outright elitism and ruthless cliquishness;  the  world of fly fishing is a far better place because of it.   :lol:

I know its shocking I even hear they let scaffolders fish on there  :shock: also a lad I worked in Basingstoke Morrison's with is now one of the keepers  :lol:

Offline Inchlaggan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
Scaffolders! The thin end of the wedge! It'll be plasterers and brickies next, plumbers, electricians, joiners, hell in a handcart.
The only salvation is that they cannot read, spend their cash on booze and fags, so do not read T&S and are excluded from this forum.
The working class, eh? Just get on with the work, leave the fishing to us- the elite- know your place.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Offline SoldierPmr

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Scaffolders! The thin end of the wedge! It'll be plasterers and brickies next, plumbers, electricians, joiners, hell in a handcart.
The only salvation is that they cannot read, spend their cash on booze and fags, so do not read T&S and are excluded from this forum.
The working class, eh? Just get on with the work, leave the fishing to us- the elite- know your place.

Apparently they are called "Trout Bums"  :lol:

I'll stop now apologies for thread jacking.

Offline Bobfly

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 10:10:34 PM »
The mags are a spot of escapism, and snippets and ideas, a bit of info about places to think about ... Iceland, Greenland, odd corners of Shetland, whatever and whatever, better than what is on the telly. Probably harmless.  I have had a few years through Xmas pressie subscriptions and I usually find something of interest.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Offline johnny boy

• Senior Member.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
We are indeed a mixed bunch, mags have probably had their day and only really fill a void  when nowt else is  available, travelling etc.

Thank goodness for t internet.

Offline Bobfly

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »
The battery never runs out on a book .... or a map .... or a magazine  :)   
Plus you can hand it in to the dentist's waiting room.  :)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »
Old phones, PCs,  laptops and tablets are also not as useful as magazines when it comes to lining the floor of the budgie's cage.   :lol:
The Forum Is Still Alive And Kicking